New Guy w/2005 KDX200

Got questions? We got answers....
freds4

New Guy w/2005 KDX200

Post by freds4 »

Hi all, new guy here. I had an original KDX175 back in the 80's. Stopped riding/racing in 1984 when I enlisted in the Marine Corps, picked back up racing motocross in 2006 out in Southern California on KX250F/KX450F, moved to Tennessee last August after my retirement and now want to get back to the woods racing I love so much. Picked up a 2005 KDX200, rode it one lap around my property (Video here: https://vimeo.com/64926076 ) and now it is torn down to the frame as I see what issues it has/parts it needs. So far the list is, torn seat cover, torn fork boot, missing rear spoke, worn out rear tire, front brake rotor and pads are new but are dragging, air filter is shot and the chain is rusty.
I have ordered new air filters and a seat cover from E-Bay, new plastic side plates from Amazon and am trying to locate fork boots that don't cost a fortune. A question I have is about gearing. What is the stock gearing? During my test ride I took it down my road and it seemed like it would do about 80mph! :shock:
Curves and a wet road prevented me from finding out, but I am thinking the rear 47-tooth sprocket could use the addition of at least one more tooth for the really tight woods.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: New Guy w/2005 KDX200

Post by royadams »

Daystarmx.com for fork boots
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

first off all, thank you for serving

secondly, welcome abaord
sounds like with a little TLC you will have a good bike in no time
if you are looking to replace the chain and sprockets your best deal is to buy it as a set
stock gearing is 13/47 i have a plated KDX that i also run trails with that runs 13/50 which gets it close to 80 on the highway but it misses the grunt i like on the trails...for that i swap the front to a 12 tooth

rockymountain RTV carries KX rotors, same as the KDX but you will need to drill out the mounting holes (im sure someone else will chime in with the exact part number)

rear tires...best i've heard is kenda trakmaster, its a DOT tire so if you are not planning on plating her you might prefer a more agressive one

you can buy individual spokes on ebay..the head may be a tad larger but it will work just fine after you ream out the hole in the rim

dont forget to upload some pics of the bike so we can give more advise....and post directions to that trail off yours :lol:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

New Guy w/2005 KDX200

Post by rbates9 »

freds4

New Guy w/2005 KDX200

Post by freds4 »

Thank you, that's a great resource!
Ordered the fork boots from daystar, got a new tire today, some new UFO side panels a Twin Air filter. Ordered graphics from Amazon and a seat cover from E Bay. Tomorrow I will check the lower shock bearing as I have been told it is very prone to wear? It already has bark busters and an FMF Gnarly pipe/silencer and Boyesen reeds. I don't have a lot of time to spend on it right now but am really looking forward to getting this thing back up and running. I'm sure it will take some time to get used to a 2-stroke again after racing a thumper for the past 8 years.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

New Guy w/2005 KDX200

Post by diymirage »

freds4 wrote: I'm sure it will take some time to get used to a 2-stroke again after racing a thumper for the past 8 years.

it's like coming home man

freds4

Post by freds4 »

diymirage wrote: dont forget to upload some pics of the bike so we can give more advice....and post directions to that trail of yours :lol:

Here's a before photo from right after I bought it:

My trail is a LONG way from Michigan! :grin:
Here's the same trail around my place from last Autumn on a KX250F I am comfortable on:
https://vimeo.com/54624308
freds4

New Guy w/2005 KDX200

Post by freds4 »

Here's how it looks today. Waiting on parts, taking my time.

freds4

Post by freds4 »

Have disassembled and cleaned everything, gotten new plastic, graphics, rear tire, seat cover, air filter, new spoke in rear wheel, am waiting on fork boots, chain, chain roller and am dropping suspension off for service on Wednesday. I am really looking forward to getting this thing back together so I can begin my 2-stroke revival. Will post more photos when there is something new to see.
2 questions - On the lower fork leg where the 4 studs with nuts clamp the front axle, one of the studs is missing and has been replaced by an allen bolt and it didn't feel like it was the correct size. I just loosened it and left it in, hopefully it will hold. Is this a problem area with these bikes?
The other question is, why do the bolts that hold the clutch/front brake levers on have such a huge, long head on them?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

New Guy w/2005 KDX200

Post by rbates9 »

Question 1, I would at least make sure the bolt is the correct size. It seems that some people have problems with the studs and some don't. Somewhere on here the part number for the stud is mentioned a few times if you wanted to get a new one.

Question 2, The clutch and brake pivot bolts are big and long because the KDX came with plastic hand guards (dust busters more then guards) that mounted to those bolts. The easiest way to loose the clutch side is with a new perch and lever assembly. The brake side is a matter of finding something that will work. Most people just leave the brake side as it is because it is more trouble then it is worth to change it.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

now that is a nice looking garage
as a mather of fact, i think you have more rear tires in stock then my local parts shop

freds4

Post by freds4 »

Thank you rbates9, you guys are super-helpful here.

diymirage wrote:now that is a nice looking garage
as a mather of fact, i think you have more rear tires in stock then my local parts shop

Thank you, my Wife helped decorate, here is a tour: https://vimeo.com/54780008

I am maintaining 3 bikes and have a deal with Dunlop. Buying in bulk saves me a lot of money; those will last me the entire season.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

that is a nice mancave
alltogether a nice property from what i can tell

im hoping to get something bigger myself later with enough room for me and the kids to run the bikes in our own backyard without interfering with the neighbours (on a side note, i got to get some more kids)

those dunlop tires treating you right ?
i run whatever i can find for cheap, but i tend to favor the kenda trakmaster

freds4

Post by freds4 »

The Dunlops are good, been using them so long I don't know any different. :grin:
My kids are grown and living in SoCal.
freds4

Post by freds4 »

Been waiting 20 days now for my fork boots from Daystar. I called them and they told me they would ship tomorrow, no explanation, no apology. I hope others had a better experience, I certainly won't recommend them.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

thats no way to do buisness, specially not if you are hoping on repeat buisness

i dont mind if my parts dont go out the same day, stuff happens i understand that, just keep me in the loop and all is well

freds4

Post by freds4 »

Finally got my fork boots today and finished the bike. Accidentally got a chain without a master link clip, so I still need to buy a rivet tool to close the link before I can ride it. I had the suspension completely rebuilt and took everything apart except the engine, as it was completely rebuilt only 30 hours ago. Added a tooth to the rear sprocket for the super-tight woods sections around here. Still have to install a set of Acerbis Rally III handguards and do a bit of detail work but I couldn't wait to snap a photo.

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

New Guy w/2005 KDX200

Post by KDXGarage »

woo-hoo! lookin' good!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
ukkdx200

New Guy w/2005 KDX200

Post by ukkdx200 »

I am very very VERY jealous of that garage/cave!! kdx coming on nicely!
freds4

New Guy w/2005 KDX200

Post by freds4 »

Here's a better shot not taken by an iPhone.