Sometimes I can kick start sometimes it won't move

Got questions? We got answers....
Kevin1742

Post by Kevin1742 »

My bike as been riding great till yesterday, it started to make a wired hissing sound from the front left of motor I think, almost like a belt slipping on a car. It would happen more when I gave it gas but It would stop. So I did a oil change and changed the fluid in the radiator. Also cleaned out the carb and the air box. Went for ride today ran god no noise and then in third gear it dies on me, so I kick it over and she fires up put in first give gas it dies. So I do this a couple more times and then I go to kick it and I cannt move the kick start lever, I let it sit go get the truck and try it one more time she fires up and runs great. I shut it off cause I know something is wrong. Please help
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Sometimes I can kick start sometimes it won't move

Post by Julien D »

Leaking water anywhere? Something is seizing it up. You're probably going to need to tear the motor down and inspect everything.
Kevin1742

Post by Kevin1742 »

Just the top end?
Kevin1742

Post by Kevin1742 »

Sorry I ment to type in that it isn't leaking water or anything, I was wondering how can I tell if the two stroke oil is pumping, also how often should I be filling it up? When I ride its about 2 hrs a day at least, and about 5 days a week.thanks alot
Kevin1742

Post by Kevin1742 »

After reading some more I think I fried the top end my self bummer, I thought the plastic jug on the right side of radiator is for the two stroke oil mix. But I'm guessing now that that's my antifreeze over flow, and that I'm supposed to ad the premix in my gas. I'm a asshole please tell me I'm wrong. It's a 1996 kdx 200 h
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Sorry. That tank on the right side is the coolant tank and you do need to mix the gas.

You should also plan on splitting the cases and doing the rod and main bearings. :sad:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yeah, sorry. Seizure could be from the top end or from the rod and/or crank bearings. You're going to need to check everything.
Kevin1742

Post by Kevin1742 »

Ok thanks everyone, ill be asking more questions as the tear down begins
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Kevin,

Sorry to read about your problems.

Before you start tearing into your bike, you really need to get a manual. You just can't do a proper job without one.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Before you start tearing into your bike, you really need to get a manual. You just can't do a proper job without one.
+10

Absolute must. Goes hand in hand with reading things like users manuals. This is a tribute to the hardiness of the KDX however...by your own estimates that's around 20+ hours with no lubrication before it finally said no mas!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The same thing was done to my 73 F11. It ran at least 10 hours on straight gas before it locked up. It was up at our cabin, and a friend dug it out and filled it up with straight gas. My grandfather had disabled the oil injection years before. Tough old bike! The best part, I poured some 2t oil down the plug hole, got it freed up, and had it out in the woods a few more times before tearing it down for a rebuild. Unfortunately that was a couple years ago, and it's STILL torn down waiting on that rebuild, lol.
Kevin1742

Post by Kevin1742 »

Is there a manual that is better then the other? I put the 2 stroke in with the gas this time . She fired up and I rode it around the house got to second gear felt good. What will happen if I don't tare it down is there any way I might of got lucky? I know I know I'm reaching for the stars here's gonna do a compression test tomm to see what the #s are ill post them up for advice. Thanks a lot everyone has been so helpfull.oh yeh when I do rebuild is there a o er bore that is recommended if I'm in there :supz:
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Either the OEM paper one of the online Cyclepedia (I like the Cyclepedia because the pictures are better, just me). It's already seized a couple times by your descriptions, so I would bet there's at least some scoring in the walls, harder to gauge is the damage done to the bottom end, and the only way to check is tear it down. Best case, you did some minor damage, and the KDX being the warrior it is will trooper on until it finally dies, worst case it comes apart and does a lot more (and costlier) damage. If it were me I'd have it half torn down already. Its a plated cylinder, overboring leads into more work like modifying power valves and such, best bet is to repair and replate. This thread may give you some idea of what you're looking at http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... te#p123681
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

you've got to inspect at least your top end. it might just need a replate and new piston, ring...
don't run the chance to ruin your cylinder completely along with the bottom end if you throw a ring or skirt....
Sorry but you must bite the bullet at this point.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

If you are very lucky, piston is scored and the cylinder is fine. I would not continue to run it on a piston that has seized.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
Kevin1742

Post by Kevin1742 »

Sorry I didn't get a chance to tear it apart work truck fuel pump went so that had to be done before the toys get worked on. It should be tomm thanks agin everyone