Interesting bit of KDX history

Post by JD »

'04 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The error returned was:
Sorry, you are not allowed to read this topic - it is either a private category for Team KTMTalk members or, it is restricted for validated members (no guests).
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Here you go!!

TGTech Posted: Mar 30 2005, 02:55 AM

KTMTalk Member

Vermilion, OH
Member No.: 34581

I had the distinct pleasure of being one of the first people to have a KDX 200, even before there was one. In the early part of 1981, Jack Penton was running an enduro team for Kawasaki, under the name True Sport Development, out of one of the old Penton buildings in Lorain, Ohio. We were using the KDX 175's for part of the team, and at one point, the Japanese engineers asked us why there were 175cc engines being sold in the US, when the class for them in American enduros, was up to 200cc. We explained that most of the development of 175s, had come from Europe, where in the ISDT, there was a 175 class, thus that displacement.

After a few months, we received a package from KHI (Kawasaki Heavy Industries, the Japanese company; KMC, Kawasaki Motors Corporation is the American company) that contained a number of cylinders and heads that fit the KDX 175 bottom ends. The cylinders were made such that when coupled with the stroke of the 175, the engines displaced 197cc.

We installed them on some of our bikes and used the stock pipes and carburetors in the Trask Mountain ISDT qualifier. The bikes just worked OK, because they were still using what we thought, was a configuration that way over square, and it just didn't have the bottom end that an enduro machine needed. We were also using the other 175 parts, and that just didn't make for an ideal setup.

I wrote a report on the performance, and suggested that they make the engine closer to square, make a pipe specifically for the displacement, and perhaps a bigger carburetor.

In the summer of 1982, I got a call from the R&D technicians and was asked to meet them in Telluride, Colorado, for some testing. When I arrived, there was the prototype of the 1983 KDX 200. Not only had they done what I had suggested with the bore and stroke, but they had also reconfigured the transmission to the ratios that I had suggested in another report that I'd written about the gear spacing of the engines.

The new 'box worked so well, that we didn't even test the gearbox that they'd developed on their own. There were some other things that they did that we had suggested as a result of the the True Sport program. perhaps the most notable, was the side stand positioning.

In that era, the Japanese machines all had their side stand mounts welded to the frame, right behing the foot peg. When the swing arm was compressed, that left the side stand hanging out in nowhere, ready to be bashed by every rock, stump and rut. Late in our program, we had been using the KX swing arms, and I fabricated some aluminum brackets that we welded to the Swing arm, a la European bikes, and never had another bent up side stand. That 1983 prototype, had the side stand welded to the swingarm.

Finally, I have to agree with you folks that have said that it is one of the easiest bikes ever to ride. It was designed specifically to appeal to a very broad audience, and in my opinion, they hit the mark.

Dane
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hey, awesome! Thanks for posting that!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That was great! :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

:supz: :supz: :supz: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:

My side stands mounts to the frame behind the footpeg not on the swingarm. Hmmmm... :rolleyes:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well...your an Aussie and didn't bitch! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

"a la European bikes, and never had another bent up side stand"

I've got one :cry:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr