no spark

Got questions? We got answers....
nick kdx

no spark

Post by nick kdx »

hi guys,desperately need help please
got a 2000 mod kdx 200,i put a plug into the plug lead and i get one spark every 30kicks or so if im lucky,otherwise wont spark at all!
if i push start the bike it will spark,but run very flat for about 10 seconds then runs like normal,if i kill the motor and try and kick again it wont start!

now the way i understand it is that if a coil go's it go's and wont work even if you push the bike

please help

thanks
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: no spark

Post by Dekon »

Start with the easy stuff first. I'd check to see if there is a loose wire somewhere.
nick kdx

Post by nick kdx »

i've stripped all plastics for better access an checked all wires for lose connection,is there any tests i can do to check for any faults?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

no spark

Post by canyncarvr »

nick kdx wrote:i put a plug into the plug lead and i get one spark every 30kicks or so if im lucky,otherwise wont spark at all!.
That's not a real good method of testing spark. Too easy to have a bad ground on the plug.

What's the resistance of your igniter coil..the one under the flywheel/rotor.

Not sure what comes with 'checked all wires for loose connection.' Take the frame grounds OFF, clean them AND where they bolt to the frame (on the left side up by the steering stem tube.

The rest of what you describe:
if i push start the bike it will spark,but run very flat for about 10 seconds then runs like normal,if i kill the motor and try and kick again it wont start!
Could very well have nothing to do with spark.

Neither the igniter NOR the spark box are common KDX failure items.

The most common reason a KDX200 is hard to start is a pilot circuit problem in the carb: Dirty, poor jet selection, poor air screw adjustment.

Not having a history of the bike (meaning you don't know what YOU have done to it), fuel issues are the most likely problem.

Short list: Clean the grounds. Replace the plug. Clean the air filter. Dump any gas that it came with. Clean the carb. Check reed condition.

Take note of the jet sizes. Also check to make sure the white nylon keeper on the carb end of the throttle cable is correctly seated in the needle retainer slot.

When you're checking the reeds, take note BEFORE you take them off to be sure they are NOT upside down. If you don't know, ask.
now the way i understand it is that if a coil go's it go's and wont work even if you push the bike
No.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
nick kdx

no spark

Post by nick kdx »

ok well i fiddled around with it till late last night,i pulled the cpver off on the left side(just in front of front sprocket,flywheel cover???)
and the seal what shot and found quite alot of moisture in there,can this cause my problem? if so what can i do to sort it out?

the moisture i found was yes water,i tried blowing it out with a hairdryer,but still no spark( and i've been kicking it with the lights off so im in pitch darkness so surely i should see a spark

thanks in advance guys
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

no spark

Post by canyncarvr »

I resign from this thread.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Do you have a flywheel puller?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
nick kdx

Post by nick kdx »

dont have a flywheel puller but took it to a shop and the owner pulled flywheel for me in like 30 seconds,took it to a 'auto elec' who says one of the stator coils are shot9he tested one side of coil to other and got no current)
is it possible to rewind those coils as kawasaki tell me a new one costs R4500 which is out of my league right now
nick kdx

Post by nick kdx »

2 coils on my stator,i presume one is a lighting coil and one ignition coil,which is which? my lights were removed before i bought the bike so i dont need power from that coil do i? an can the ignition coil(whichever one it is) be rewound?

thanks