Paint for the gas tank

Got questions? We got answers....
bikdx

Paint for the gas tank

Post by bikdx »

One of the previous owners painted my '94 black using a cheap paint. After cleaning most of it off, I found out why. The shrouds, fenders, and side plates still look decent but, the gas tank is REALLY faded. Can anyone recommend q good plastics paint that won't bubble up with the first drop of gas to land on it? I'd like to go back to Kawasaki green.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Paint for the gas tank

Post by Julien D »

There really is nothing you can use to paint a plastic gas tank. I would sand it and polish it and see how much that helps.
bikdx

Post by bikdx »

Thanks. I think that'll be a winter job. If I'm lucky, I'll do it while the frame's getting blasted & coated.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

I've read the best thing to do is dye it. But you will have to go with a darker color than it is. I'm getting ready to try it on my hybrid the Suzuki yellow does not go well with green.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

i never tried this before but i have heard of people having good results scraping the old faded plastic with a razor blade to reveal "fresh"plastic underneath
this fresh plastic has the origenal colour and should buff out nicely

(much like this)

newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Paint for the gas tank

Post by ICRage42 »

tried that diy and yes it does work however unless your really good with the razor you create ridges or high spots. Ive sculpted for years and tried on an old fender that way and yes I got it shiny but for me it wasnt the end result I wanted.

Took it a bit further and made a tool to sculpt out those ridges with a roller setup and gauge I have for doing body work. Did very well.

Took a polisher with a high grit wax to it and stepped down after getting it smoothed out and yes it worked.

In the long run I wasted a good 40 dollars in wax about 80 bucks in electricity.......beer :lol: you get the picture.

Just pick up a decent tank and from what I hear soaking in brake fluid will remove the paint from the good parts. Youd have to look that topic up however I havent tried this.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
bikdx

Post by bikdx »

Thanks everyone. I hate to buy another tank since mine is in good shape (well, except for the looks) and they seem to be hard to find. And, I don't trust myself with a razor lol. Guess I'll try the sand/polish method.