KDX 220 and 200 locked up. Please Help!!

Got questions? We got answers....
awesome.sharaf

Post by awesome.sharaf »

Hey guys I have a question about my kdx's. I have two kdx one is a 97 220 with about 10 hours on it and the other is a 95 200 that has a bit more use on it. Well a couple weeks ago I was riding the 220 and it kept shutting off and i eventually ran it with chock to get it home. After that it locked up i couldnt move the kickstarter at all, I kept shaking it till it freed up somehow and i was able to kick a couple more times before it locked again. It eventually started, made this horrible rattle and shut off. Same thing happened with my 200 about a week ago. I dont know what it is so I opened the transmission case and it was clean I replaced the kips governor and tried kicking it.... nothing but when i spin the flywheel it sometimes frees the piston up and i can get a couple more kicks in, but still no start.

Does anyone know what can be wrong with the bikes I mean for one the KDX 220 is a practically new bike.
Help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
sarrant

Re: KDX 220 and 200 locked up. Please Help!!

Post by sarrant »

Well, you're not gonna get any farther any you open it up to see where/how you blew them up.

I know the 220s have some notoriety for dropping piston skirts. Hope that isn't the case here.
awesome.sharaf

Post by awesome.sharaf »

But if the piston was messed up would I be able to free it up by turning the flywheel? I mean like if the piston locked up wouldI be able to free it up that easily or is it something something else broken?

I read online about flywheel/stator magnets being broken.. Is that possible with newer KDXs?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Locked up, freed up, and started with a horrible rattle follwed by another lockup, sounds like busted piston skirts. As noted above, you will have to tear the top end off and have a look.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

So, both bikes locked up... Is there any chance you might have forgot the 2 stroke oil in the gas? Or, have you pissed anyone off lately? It sounds odd that both bikes would have the same problem at basically the same time.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

i'm with rebate there, something is not right, 2 different bikes, same symptoms ...
awesome.sharaf

Post by awesome.sharaf »

Yeah both bikes at the same time. One is actually my friends, and we do make sure to put premix in every time we add gas. It is strange that both got it at the same time especially that it wasn't rough riding it was just cruising around an open trail. Like I said the 220 only has 10 hours on it so I don't know why the piston would have been already messed up.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

on the one you recently worked on (the 220?) if you didn't support the kips shaft properly, I'd bet that's what your issue is. the broken kips actuator can get stuck in the clutch/kickstarter gear, ask me how i know. :roll:
open the clutch side and inspect everything.
awesome.sharaf

Post by awesome.sharaf »

No it was the 200 that I worked on. What do you mean by support the kips shaft? I replaced the kips governor if that helps.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

read my sig...
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

If the piston in the 220 is the factory one then it doesn't matter if it is brand new it can grenade on you without warning. Read up on it as it is a very well known problem with the 220.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R