Fork triple clamp height question

Got questions? We got answers....
zepplin153

Post by zepplin153 »

So what is the rule on where to set your forks in the triple clamp. I have heard people talk about your weight and height being proportional to where it should be set. I have heard of stickies online with this type of information. I would love some input from you guys. I would like to dial them in for an enduro in 2 weeks.

FYI: ENDURO at westpoint TN sun apr 28

http://www.nationalenduro.com/storage/d ... Enduro.pdf
'98 KDX 200 (KLX300 Forks)
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: Fork triple clamp height question

Post by KarlP »

You really need to fool around with them a bit to find out. Find a 3 or 4 minute section of trail and try them flush, up an 1/8", up a 1/4" etc.
I think you'll find flush feels the most stable, up a bit turns sharper.
You can do your shock preload the same way, within reason.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yep, the only way to know is to play with them. Personally, I would recommend only making changes in 1mm steps as that little bit does make a noticeable difference. Make sure that you adjust, or at least check, your rear preload with every fork height adjustment or you won't truly know how each millimeter affects the handling of your bike. It is good to have a buddy or somebody else to help when doing this.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

1mm each increment? only fools do that. haha
A true KDX customizer!!
zepplin153

Post by zepplin153 »

Sounds great but Im not real sure about suspension stuff. I know about the little screw on the rear shock but which way does what? And, can you generalize for me how preload effects ride?
'98 KDX 200 (KLX300 Forks)
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Big subject.

If you are running that TN enduro in a couple of weeks I think I would concentrate on getting lots of seat time. Like hours.

I will never again underestimate the level of physical conditioning necessary to complete an enduro............ :shock:

If you really want to play with the suspension there are lots of guides on line, one more confusing than the other.

Here is mine, worth what you paid for it:

Over on FRP Offroad (Jeff Fredettes site) he has approximate settings for the clickers. They are a good place to start.
Take initial measurements on race and static sag for the shock and try to adjust it to Fredettes recommendations.
For TN I'd set the forks flush or maybe 2 mm above the triple clamps and adjust the shock spring preload until you feel the bike steers the way you want it to. You will have to spend some time running a 3 to 4 minute loop to find the right front/rear "attitude". I don't think you have time to get the right spring even if you needed to. You can adjust the spring preload on the trail by leaving the locking collar loose and laying the bike over and spinning the spring to tighten/loosen the preload. When you find that sweet spot, it is time for clicker adjustments.

Read up on clicker setting and see what you can do. I bet you'll find Fredettes settings are pretty close. Keep in mind that the marking for "softer" and "harder" are a little counterintuitive. There is nothing "soft" about not having enough compression or rebound damping, it is just harsh.

Have a good fun ride in TN. If that one wasn't so far away I'd go. It is in my series, but 7 hours drive each way.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy