Pipe Leaking

Got questions? We got answers....
RockCrayfish

Pipe Leaking

Post by RockCrayfish »

All,

I've recently purchased a 2006 KDX200 (recently = 2 days ago). I noticed some leaking from the "fatty" pipe shortly after I arrived home. I've asked some questions on ThumperTalk and was advised to purchase o-rings and a gasket to correctly mount the pipe.

I've already ordered those parts although I expect to wait a month as they are coming from the US to Canada.

My main concern is doing more damage by riding it before attempting to remount the pipe with the replacement parts.

I cleaned the pipe and then let the bike run for ~10-15 minutes (combination of revving/idling). Here's the result:

rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Pipe Leaking

Post by rbates9 »

If you want to patch the problem you could pull the pipe off and put some high temp RTV on the pipe and put it back on. Clean everything up first. Also while you have the pipe off make sure that it is fitting squarely into the cylinder and that your springs are still good. Might be worth making sure the silencer isn't plugged too.
RockCrayfish

Re: Pipe Leaking

Post by RockCrayfish »

rbates9 wrote:If you want to patch the problem you could pull the pipe off and put some high temp RTV on the pipe and put it back on. Clean everything up first. Also while you have the pipe off make sure that it is fitting squarely into the cylinder and that your springs are still good. Might be worth making sure the silencer isn't plugged too.
I plan to take a much closer look and remove the expansion chamber once the replacement parts arrive. Until then should I refrain from riding?

Thanks for the help!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You're not going to damage anything (unless of course you include getting oily splooge all over your bike). A little high temp RTV like Rbates will get you on the trail quickly. I would also suggest pulling the drain plug on the silencer and seeing how much drains out of there. And try mixing 40:1 to cut down the mess...sure seems like a lot for just 10-15 mins of no load riding. Would probably do you good to pull the plug and replace with a BR8ES ( a little hotter than the stock). Judging by the stains on the pipe it's been doing this for a while.
RockCrayfish

Post by RockCrayfish »

bufftester wrote:You're not going to damage anything (unless of course you include getting oily splooge all over your bike). A little high temp RTV like Rbates will get you on the trail quickly. I would also suggest pulling the drain plug on the silencer and seeing how much drains out of there. And try mixing 40:1 to cut down the mess...sure seems like a lot for just 10-15 mins of no load riding. Would probably do you good to pull the plug and replace with a BR8ES ( a little hotter than the stock). Judging by the stains on the pipe it's been doing this for a while.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't want to change my mix ratio as I'm not comfortable messing with the jetting yet. That may be something I'll have to familiarize myself with sooner rather than later.

For the time being, I've ordered o-rings, springs. and a gasket for the expansion chamber. I'll remove the silencer plug and drain what I can.

I'm not familiar with RTV. Would this be suitable: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en

If so, can it be applied straight to the underside of the expansion chamber where it meets the cylinder or will I need to remove the pipe and put the RTV on the o-rings?
Last edited by RockCrayfish on 07:55 pm Apr 15 2013, edited 1 time in total.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

That'll work.

Yes, you'll have to remove the pipe to apply it.

You can also get the o-rings at a good hardware or automotive supply store. That and silicone is all you most likely need. Very easy job.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

KarlP wrote:You can also get the o-rings at a good hardware or automotive supply store. That and silicone is all you most likely need. Very easy job.
Yup. That is what i did on mine. Ditched the gasket and just used two new O-rings and some Permatex Hi-Temp sealer. Haven't had a leak since.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

SS109 wrote:
KarlP wrote:You can also get the o-rings at a good hardware or automotive supply store. That and silicone is all you most likely need. Very easy job.
Yup. That is what i did on mine. Ditched the gasket and just used two new O-rings and some Permatex Hi-Temp sealer. Haven't had a leak since.
I would try to keep the copper gasket for the wear surface if nothing else. The amount that the pipe vibrates it seems that the steel pipe could wear into the aluminum cylinder after time.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Pipe Leaking

Post by SS109 »

How I did it was to put a bead right at the lip where the pipe seats and let it set up over night. Next day I gooped up the pipe and O-rings and slid it in. I'll inspect for wear when I pull it apart this summer for it's yearly check up.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Pipe Leaking

Post by rbates9 »

I might be over thinking it but it seems to me they put it in there for more then just a seal. Maybe not. Let us know what you find when you pull the pipe down the road.
RockCrayfish

Post by RockCrayfish »

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help.

I managed to find some permatex hi-temp red RTV at my local Home Depot, so I may tackle the job this weekend. I'll be repeating the process once the o-rings, gasket, and springs arrive, but a temporary solution is better than nothing.

I'll clean the air filter, do an oil change, and drain the silencer at that time as well. I'll let you guys know the outcome.
bufftester wrote:You're not going to damage anything (unless of course you include getting oily splooge all over your bike). A little high temp RTV like Rbates will get you on the trail quickly. I would also suggest pulling the drain plug on the silencer and seeing how much drains out of there. And try mixing 40:1 to cut down the mess...sure seems like a lot for just 10-15 mins of no load riding. Would probably do you good to pull the plug and replace with a BR8ES ( a little hotter than the stock). Judging by the stains on the pipe it's been doing this for a while.
I did some searching and it appears as though the 2006 model's stock plug is a BR8ES. Not sure how much truth there is to that.

Oh, and here's my bike for those interested:

bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Looks way too clean to be a real KDX...sure it's not a chinese copy? lolol :lol:
RockCrayfish

Post by RockCrayfish »

bufftester wrote:Looks way too clean to be a real KDX...sure it's not a chinese copy? lolol :lol:
I'll take that Chinese copy comment as a compliment. :razz:

I've ordered some shroud graphics, along with a maier MX rear fender and Acerbis MX front fender. I'll post pics in a few weeks. :supz: