Tyre (oops sorry, TIRE) levers

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXer
Supporting Member

Tyre (oops sorry, TIRE) levers

Post by KDXer »

I'm trying to find out what is the best choice for tyre levers. I have read Metzeler ones are supposed to be the best. I have also heard from someone I know who had the Metzeler ones and now owns another pair (I forget the brand) that the other brand ones work better. Any info or recommendations would be great.... Thanks guys... Trev...

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I recently bought 2 of the tusk ones from rockymountainmc.com , they seemed to work fine. I chose them only because they were on sale at the time. I also got one of their bead holders that keep the bead in the center channel. that seems to work pretty well too. Never tried the Metzler ones though.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I use my dealers... and he knows how to use them just fine! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I've always used a pair of long screw drivers. I've been wanting to get a pair of tire irons though.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Hmmm, bead holders hey ?!? Better look into them.

Thanks for the replies guys, keep em comin... :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Oh one a them.... I see.... I just use my foot. :rolleyes:

IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I also went to the Tusk because they were cheap and longer than the 8 inch trail irons I had been using. Haven't bent them yet - did loctite the handles on though because they would loosen easily.

I have rim protectors somewhere but they are a pain to use and once your wheels are scarred up a bit why bother??

Bead holder - I use a wood clamp or c-clamp to pinch the tire together and don't have a problem.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

KAY DEE EXER, do you mean tire irons for the trailside repair or home repair??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Both really.

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I have some 15" long ones that I use at home. They work well, as the longer arms give me mre leverage. I don't have any to use on the trail.
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

I change tires (tyres) every day. My least favorite are the 125/250F rear tires(100/90-19), any rear with heavy duty tubes, and all ATV tires. The 21" fronts and the 18" rears come off and go on quick. Honestly, teqnique and practice have a ton to do with how quickly and easily they come off. After 6 months of 4 to 6 a day...only takes about 5 min. for 21" and 7 minutes for rears. We have a tire changing machine, but it's really not that much easier or faster than throwing the rim on the bucket and using the old fashion tire iron method.

These are the tools I use Tire Irons I have 3. One I straitened the flat end with a hammer on purpose to make it less likely to slip when putting the tire on. It has not bent. The second one has held up great as well. The 3rd one I tweaked (and is mostly useless now) changing some ATV tires.

I've never attempted to mess with a tire on trail. These would not be much fun to carry in the tool pack. Some people really like the tire spoons such as these Tire Spoon. These require a different technique of which I am not too adept. These will fit in a tool pack better though.

Whatever you choose...practice and patience will be the key to success.

Later
Robb
Last edited by quailchaser on 12:47 am Sep 26 2005, edited 1 time in total.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I have a 15" one I made back at school in metal fab. I am looking at probably getting 2 x 200mm Tyre Plier brand ones. Would you guys recommend the 300mm one's over the 200mm one's ?? Robb, Jas, thanks guys.

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

How much are you wanting to work at it?? I think the longer irons give you greater leverage.
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

300 millimeter = 11.8110236 inch
200 millimeter = 7.8740157 inch

Metric, yikes. :blink:

If you get 4 of the 200mm and weld them together to make 2 @ 400mm, that would work.

Seriously though, longer Irons tend to make the job easier. However, as I stated before, technique, practice and patience are the Key. The suspension guy loves his little 8.5 inch (215.9 millimeter) tire spoons and wants nothing to do with my tools. He can rip em and mount them just as fast!

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

I know what you mean about the heavy duty tubes Robb. I'm dreading the day I have to remove my new rear tire. I just installed a fresh Dunlop and one of those new Bridgestone Ultra Heavy duty tubes. The damn thing is 4mm thick :shock: It was a bitch getting in the tire. I can't even imagine how hard it's gonna be getting out. :sad: Might have to break out the die grinder for this removal :twisted:
03 220R
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I hear ya Robb regarding practice, etc. I had to change one last weekend. Luckily we were riding at a riding park and they had tubes for sale. $18 mind you for a crap, chinese, thin peice of so called rubber. So I bought one and prceeded to fit it. After 30 mins :shock: it was done. Now to inflate.......... psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

WTF..... :lol: Yep off it came again. I found 4 pinches in the tube. :rolleyes: Went and bought another tube and this time I inflated it more before trying to put the tyre back on. Worked a treat, oh and lots of WD-40 helped to eliminate pinching and eased in reseating the tyre. Second time round took not even 10 minutes, and guess what ??? NO pinches !!! :supz:

Thinking about it more, I am leaning towards the 300mm (11.8110236 inch) ones. :wink:

FTR I used (read: borrowed) 2 x 200mm ones and 1 approx. 400mm one and it was a piece of cake (well second time round anyway).

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

KAY DEE EXER, to try to prevent pinches, I have had good luck with using baby powder on the inside of the tire and outside of the tube. I dump a lot in the tire and on the tube, then shake off the excess.

Get the looong tire irons.

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Mkay.... Cheers.... Looong ones it is.... :partyman:

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Woo-hoo! :supz: Mine are the same shape as the ones quailchaser linked to. I only have two, but three would be better. It is on "THE LIST". :mrgreen: