Galfer Rotors

Got questions? We got answers....
N8Strine

Galfer Rotors

Post by N8Strine »

Does Galfer make a rear wave rotor for the KDX220? If so what is the part # and what website can you buy this on? Thanks, Nate. Currently running an FRP solid rear rotor and as soon as I tap the rear brakes it grabs and locks the rear wheel up.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Galfer Rotors

Post by SS109 »

Hah, that is the norm for all KDX's! There really isn't any progression when using the rear. Anyways, I don't know about Galfer but RMATV has one available in their Tusk line. I have them front and rear and they work great. It does a little better job at being progressive than the factory rotor but will bite hard when you want it to.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
N8Strine

Galfer Rotors

Post by N8Strine »

The brakes have to have progression, otherwise you would be doing endo's every time you use your front brakes, so the rear should not be any different. They should not just be fully locked up when I slighty tap the rear brake pedal.

I called Galfer up and the PART # is DF152W and you can order directly from GALFER USA.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Galfer Rotors

Post by SS109 »

Dude, I'm just telling you how it is with KDX rear brakes. I'm sure others here can backup what I'm saying as it is a common gripe. Yes, they do have some progression. However, it is not as good as bikes with more modern braking components. That is why I bought an aftermarket rear rotor and tried different brake pad compounds to find what would give me better progression. What also hurts having a progressive rear is the fact that it is foot operated. You just can't be as smooth with your foot as you can be with your fingers. Maybe try installing a LHRB? I know I have been thinking about doing that myself.
'11 GasGas EC250R
N8Strine

Re: Galfer Rotors

Post by N8Strine »

Yea, im running EBC MX-S rear pads with the FRP solid rotor. Yea ill try something. I just dont remember it ever being like that with my stock rear rotor.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

No experience with FRP's solid rotor. However, given that it is solid (ie; more surface area) I could see where it would be even more like a switch compared to the stock rotor. I would definitely be looking at a vented and/or wave rotor to help. EBC, DP, Galfer, and Tusk all make suitable vented replacements.
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Galfer Rotors

Post by rbates9 »

I can say that my rear brake is nothing more then a rear wheel lock up. There is little to no feathering to it. Just the way they are. I have just learned to brake with the front and slide with the rear.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I'll jump on the band wagon as well, rear brake on the KDX is good at stopping the wheel...now..lol. Between a solid rotor (read more surface area=more friction=faster stopping) and a relatively small MC piston/stroke and volume, it really is closer to just on/off. Not just the KDX's, the KX's are also notorious for it (same MC and caliper arrangements). Wave style rotors (less surface area) and non-sintered pads will help, but not a lot.
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Galfer Rotors

Post by Brian »

I've never noticed my rear brake being grabby but I ride both the KDX and KX so maybe I'm just used to it. I do have my rear break pedal's adjusted a little low so I have to make a deliberate stab at it. Maybe that helps too.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch