1995 kdx hasnt ran in 2 years

Got questions? We got answers....
cjrincon03
Supporting Member

Post by cjrincon03 »

95 kdx 200
Hasnt ran in 2 years. i copied this my from re-introduction thread i can try to elaborate. need to get this thing going!

:
heavily abused for one!

major thing,
LAst time i tried to ride it, it wouldnt start after umpteen kicks, pulled plug and swapped it and still nothing, pulled it behind my atv and it wasnt even trying to crank still. After tinkering it cranked for about 8 seconds(running poorly) and i gave it some gas and it bogged and died and thats it! hasnt ran since. i pulled off exhaust and checked for dirt dobber nests and such (been outside in the country AWHILE) no blockages, parked inside my shed and thats where its been for 2 years un touched.

it also needs a gas tank, cracked starting where the petcock bolts in and headed towards the radiator. used some 3 m green glue , it stopped leaking but i dont wanna be THAT guy. The bolts that hold the fairings to the gas tank wont come out, both sides spinning inside the tank

tire is bald,

air filter disintegrated

chain loose,

had the shifts forks replaced , other then that the bike is stock and never been worked on. This is the first trouble I've ever had and well, other things have taken first place over this bike!

original top end.
95 KDX
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I would start with cleaning the carb out real good. Remove the jets and make sure all the passages are clean. A new air filter will be in order too if the old one is junk.

I would probably be worth your time to do a compression check too. Not just by hand but with a gauge.

Another thing, don't leave a bike outside. :wink:
cjrincon03
Supporting Member

Re: 1995 kdx hasnt ran in 2 years

Post by cjrincon03 »

i bought the bike from the original owner, it was garage kept by him and myself until i moved out at 18, had too much junk and it was left out in the cold! i had 2 honda rincons, 1981 250r atc, 87 big red, 250 recon, ford mud toy. ran out of room it had been around the longest so i neglected it. my bad!

i left out that i cleaned the carb after I swapped the plug. back in the day i could have it snatched off , cleaned and back running in no time! that was usually the first thing i did.
also i broke the choke lever and replaced it, but it ran since then so that shouldnt be an issue

i rode this thing 7 days a week for years! original top end, i know zilch about rebuilding a top end, and know zilch about reeds . furthest ive been into a motor is i replaced the warped head and head gasket on my rincon, re did the valves. and i cleaned out a transmission valve on it.
95 KDX
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

It definitely sounds like carb. Clean it again, and again, and again. Once you think it's spotless, clean it once more.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

1. Pull the plug, (put the plug wire back on the plug) kick it over and make sure it's getting fire.
2. Thoroughly clean the carb.......and NEW gas
3. Clean/Replace air filter

Three parts to the equation......should get you going
1. Fire
2. Fuel
3. Air
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
cjrincon03
Supporting Member

Post by cjrincon03 »

Spent all day on it. Cleaned the whole bike up ,

Brand new twin air air filter , new plug, new gas, good oil, filled crank case with ATF type f

Took carb and cleaned it as good as I know how. Scraped any left over yuck off . Used several cans of carb cleaner.

Plug is getting fire , I checked it.

What now? Wouldn't kick start, my hip started hurting! Pulled it behind my Atv and it never really started up. On the last lap I gave it 1/8 throttle and it idled up only momentarily.

Kept hearing puffs of exhaust/ air almost like it was backfiring . Sounded like it was coming out from the head pipe.

When I stopped it was pouring gas out of the bottom carb line . Overflow?
95 KDX
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

if it is pouring gas out of the overflow it sounds like the float is stuck or not adjusted right

try this, clean out the sparkplug and dry it well
reinstall it and kick it over 5 or 6 times
then remove the sparkplug and see if it is wet
(im expecting it not to be)

have you tried kicking it over while spraying some carb cleaner through the airfliter?
that stuff is pretty potent and will usually allow it to run for a few seconds without getting gas

if that doesnt do the trick i would start looking into compression
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Something is jacked up in the carb. Pull it off. Take every jet, air/mix screw, float, choke, etc, etc, until you have only the carb body. Take pics so you know how to put it back together. Blow air through every orifice and every jet. If you give the carb a correct cleaning I believe you'll have good results. It's a KDX after all :boogie:
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
cjrincon03
Supporting Member

Post by cjrincon03 »

I was working out under the carport at my moms, my nephew ran off with my plug wrench, so i didn't pull the plug to see if it was wet. by the time i found it it was time to put up the tools, getting dark!

Before i quit however, i pulled the air boot to the side and had a friend spray carb cleaner while i was kicking, nothing!
he then suggested i put some mixed gas in a spray bottle and mist while i was kicking, still nothing. im tired! called it quits for today, wont drag it back out again till most likely this weekend.

Ive been trying to rule out any other possibilites, i pulled the plug eariler today and checked for fire, blue spark, so its all good.
Can the killswitch malfuntion and cause it not to start? if its stuck in "kill" mode for lack of better terms, will it still spark at the plug? i wouldnt think so. im so frustrated! just ready to ride.
95 KDX
cjrincon03
Supporting Member

Post by cjrincon03 »

Reeds? I need to check the Reeds. I was limited on tools because I was at my moms. My good stream light was home, with a cheapo light I couldn't really tell what was going on with the reeds. Guess I should pull them out, they in a Reed cage, just unbolt the boot, and pull everything out like the rest? I've never fooled with them on this bike
95 KDX
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

The kill switch will stop the bike from making spark. If it was stuck on you would have no spark.

As was said before you need to have fuel, air, and spark to get the bike to run. Also if the compression is low it will not want to run. If you let the bike sit out in the weather then you may have stuck rings. If you know that the carb is not an issue and the spark is good then you need to check the compression.

You can look in the manual for how to check / remove the reeds. You do have a manual don't you?
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

I don't know if this can happen on a KDX, but on my Ossa Plonker, I would get a nice fat blue spark with the plug laying on the head, but the bike wouldn't run. Apparently when under full compression, I wasn't getting a "hot" enough spark for the bike to run. Like I said, I don't know if this is possible on a KDX, but maybe something to think about.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

yep, heard of that a few times on various bikes. Good point, sir. :bravo:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
cjrincon03
Supporting Member

Post by cjrincon03 »

Dekon wrote:I would get a nice fat blue spark with the plug laying on the head, but the bike wouldn't run. Apparently when under full compression, I wasn't getting a "hot" enough spark for the bike to run. .
How could I check this without replacing the lead that may not be damaged?
95 KDX
cjrincon03
Supporting Member

Post by cjrincon03 »

Also, I was looking at Rocky Mountain's website, free shipping over $99 .

About $225 to my door would be a pro x top end kit and gaskets, aftermarket reeds, carb parts.

If I did all that and it cranked up afterwards , that would be grand. But I still want to find the actual problem first.

It'd almost have to run, new top end ,everything cleaned while it was apart, rebuilt carb, new reeds....

If it didnt start then id be crushed!

Doing a top end on these bikes, is that a don't fix it if it ain't broken type of deal, or should you do it every so often. The bike is 18 years old and not well maintained these last 4-5 years .
95 KDX
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

you wont hurt anything by doing a top end on it
and at 18 years of age...you may be due for one

how hard is it to kick over?
can you do it by hand?
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
KDXnoob1

Post by KDXnoob1 »

One other thing to check is timing. I have a 1985 KDX 200 I'm restoring and before I started I had to put new electronics on it. When putting the new ones on, the bike would "huff" and sputter almost like a backfire out the exhaust too. If everything else is done, try that, could be the issue.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You may want to take the reeds out and look at them. Also, a compression checker would help clarify things.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

spend the extra money and get a wiseco.
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

If I did all that and it cranked up afterwards , that would be grand. But I still want to find the actual problem first.
A motor that has sat for a while can be hard to get refired. Crap like moisture and old oil and gas accumulate in the crank and just won't let it run. The more you kick it the worse it gets.......

I think I would go the route of carb, reeds and exhaust off and see what the piston/cylinder look like through the ports. It is very likely a ring is stuck and you've got low compression.

If it all still looks fresh after 18 years and the plug is good and the timing is right, it HAS to run. It's just a machine.

I bet you need to put a new piston and rings in, though.

When you buy one of those top end kits be sure it comes wih the small end bearing. I've been caught before.

Have fun!
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy