DEK vs. CEK

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

DEK vs. CEK

Post by Indawoods »

OK...what's the scoop on the differences in performance?

The CEK is awesome but can be very touchy.... throttle control a must! Obviously the DEK has to be different.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

All though not an apples to apples comparison I was running a CGK with my old carb. This needle corresponds to a CEK w/#7 slide. The hit with the CGK was very low and very strong. With a Rev pipe it was kinda like a roller coaster, hit, calm and then a hit from the pipe. It also runs out of steam pretty fast on top. Like you said throttle control is a must! The DEK has less of a hit off idle and more of a strong tractable pull. Very predicatable and confidence inspiring. Makes it very easy to not have a whole bunch of extra unnecessary wheelspin. From 3/8th up it comes alive and starts pulling like a freight train. Its still very predictable and smooth. And it seems to pull/rev forever. The net affect for me and my bike was that with a 12t front sprocket, rb'd carb and a DEK I am able to run a gear higher everywhere. And when you get the SSS dialed in with it watch out... :supz:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Inda,
You posted a zip file with the JD software; have you not just compared the two needles using that? It clearly demonstrates where the carboration is being manipulated.

And speaking of touchy throttles, I'm now riding my KX250 around the house with it's new auto clutch. That throttle is so sensitive that I can very easily smoke the rear tire on the street in front of the house by leaning slightly over the bars as I wick it 1/4 open when adjusting the air screw!! No wonder those moto-x riders can clear all those jumps. The accelleration is blinding. While dinking with it on the street in front of my house, I didn't put my goggles on. Both my contact lenses blew out on the first WOT pass I made. I thought my eyes were just tearing up a bit, but when they refused to focus on anything, I realized the contacts were no longer in. The only way I can "safely" ride it is to detune it with the air screw. I feel the DEK is doing just that; detuning the KDX for a mellower response in this throttle/RPM range. Have you searched for that second sweet spot CC tells us about? I've never found it on the 220 but after riding Carvr's bike, I can tell you there is a difference. The best way for me to describe it is: Imagine a hill climb that requires speed to carry you to the top, but has techincal obsticals along the way. With the CEK and #1 sweet spot, you most likely would need to stand and work throttle and brake along with body english to keep traction and from looping. With Carvr's bike and the DEK on the second sweet spot, just sit down and keep weight forward by placing the balls of your feet on the pegs. Not nearly as much throttle control needed, the bike tractors up without the rear tire breaking loose or body english to keep the front end down. It almost feels like the ports have been lowerd and the compression bumped up a bit.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Data is one thing.... the way it feels is quite another. I found the SSS with the CEK and was quite impressed and waiting to try out the DEK with it. Clip should be at #4 with the DEK right? One up from bottom position?

Sounds like it will almost be electric......
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

It really made the bike easy to ride. Great for riding all day long, but frankly, a little boring if that's all I had. I like playing on fireroads and throwing the bike sideways at times.

I bought a DEK but dang if I can find it. If I do, I'll send it your way. If I can't find it by the end of this weekend, then I probably won't find it at all. I guess that's the problem with cleaning the garage with a leaf blower I guess; things like that end up missing.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

No No Ski.... I'm holding a DEK in my hand right now that TD3 (Mike) sent me that m0rie arranged by sending him the CGK for his 89 stock carb! Thanks guys!

If you do find it, send it to someone else who may want to try the DEK.

You guys are the best! :supz: :partyman:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

This needle has the smoothest transition on any needle profile I have ever seen in person. It should be electric....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

CC is the one to answer this question
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:Inda,
And speaking of touchy throttles, I'm now riding my KX250 around the house ..
Just wait till you get it outside!!!

:supz:
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Inda - Did you get a chance to try the DEK yet?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

This weekend I will and report back....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

cicone

Post by cicone »

...not to hijack the thread but....i prefer the cel to the cek and have never tried the d series needls out. any coments on the cek/cel difference?
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Cicone you still have a stock carb on your 91 right?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
cicone

Post by cicone »

yep---kinda jumped in here sideways---been busy as hell at work lately and just thought i'd poke around a bit
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... the DEK is kinda anemic, Smooth as glass though.
I can see where it would be great for mountain riding and hill climbing... but where I live this is not the case.

I will keep it in my toolbox but will use the CEK where I ride! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I agree. I'm a little disapointed CC likes the DEK over a CEK. I thought he was a real man who could handle everything a KDX could put out.

BTW, where is Carvr? Anyone hear from him or tick him off lately?
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I was gonna ask that myself.... Oh CC!!!! :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've been riding, thank you.

It's certainly a matter of preference.

If you like a handful of wheelspin at 1/8 throttle...if that makes you feel l ike you're goin' real fast...the CEK (#7TV) is for you.

But...it won't do you much good riding 'round these parts. It will add considerably to your tire budget...but it won't add to your chances of even having an opportunity to pray for getting though a good bit of trails 'round here.

Well...maybe if you YOUR balls are in your CLUTCH! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's why I want to keep it and not get rid of it. I'm sure next summer in my travels I will come across terrain that I will need it! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:That's why I want to keep it and not get rid of it. I'm sure next summer in my travels I will come across terrain that I will need it! :supz:
Lets certainly hope so! Its going to be a hoot when you guys make it out here! :supz:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E