Quick fixes???

Got questions? We got answers....
03kdx200orisit???

Quick fixes???

Post by 03kdx200orisit??? »

Hey fellas... So turns out the bike is an 03 kdx 200 after all!! Ok so after some heavy trail riding the last week with no initial problems , I have found that I have at least 2 mech probs with the bike after an intense full moto (for fun) with buddies Sunday I pushed it to the max!!!
1. Oil leaking from plug on bottom of case 2. And I'm not sure but I think coolant is entering ThE gear case, as I'm losing coolant and I changed oil after first ride and it was a brown grey color and a second time with the same outcome... any advice and tips welcome as well as opinions thanks a lot fellas... Other than that bike runs like a beast I've climbed hills and taken corners the YZ would quiver at the mere sight of... So I obviously love these kdx's and want to keep this guy alive as long as possible , but I've never done mechanic work and need you guys to" teach me the way" :cool: of kdx as far as mechanics go thanks again
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: Quick fixes???

Post by KarlP »

The oil leak on the drain plug can be fixed by using some sealent on it prior to putting it in. There is no pressure. It may be starting to strip, so be careful, 10 year old bike and all that

I would not be worried about a grey look to tranny oil. The clutch plates do that to the oil. You could well be loosing coolant through the radiator cap. It is normal for the radiators to not be full when the bike is cool, antifreeze should be just over the fins when you take the cap off. You did not say how much you are loosing.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
03kdx200orisit???

Post by 03kdx200orisit??? »

Thanks for the tip... Well I need to make some amendments to the first post. After allowing oil to settle in another container (checking for Steel pieces with magnet just in case) I noticed as it settled it turned back a brownish more "oily" color if you will and upon checking coolant level it was full!!!!!! Idk what was goin with that but obviously it wasn't going anywhere any thoughts ??? besides I'm paranoid!!!! :shock:
bikdx

Post by bikdx »

When I got my "94, it was leaking coolant in the gear box something terrible. If that ever happens, the oil will turn about the same color as a Coffee Mate creamer jug. Mine was so bad, I could change the oil, ride it 15 minutes, and have to change the oil again. :sad: Now that it's fixed, the gear oil is the exact color you described.