W.E.R Steering Damper (E-series)

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I found one on craigslist for $100, the guy says it works great but I think I might rebuild it anyway, I've heard that they're a very simple design. I've also heard that thicker oil inside the damper make a difference as well. From the pictures it looks like I'll have to drill through the frame to fit the bracket for the damper arm. Has anyone tried one on an E-series with stock triple clamps and OEM forks?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

The WER damper mounts the same whether you have stock forks or KX forks. It has a weld-on mount for the frame for the E-series KDX as the bolt-on one will not work per WER themselves. They wanted like $40 for that little piece of metal. :shock: I went down to Home Depot and bought a 1"x 5/16 or 1/4" (can't remember which) x 36" long piece of steel and made my own. Something like $6 or thereabouts. I am happy with the damper. I flushed the fluid, refilled with Mobil 1 ATF, and bled it by instructions the guys at WER gave me. I would like a bit more dampening so I might have to look in to a slightly heavier fluid as well.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXrider1989

Re: W.E.R Steering Damper (E-series)

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Weld on? you don't think drilling a hole through the frame for that one bolt could work? welding would be the last thing id want to do. Here's the posting with 2 pics of it, as I dont have any pics myself:

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/3727437420.html
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Personally, I would be real leery of drilling a hole in one of the most stressed areas of the frame but that is just me. WER told me the bolt-on mount would not work on the E-series KDX frame and it might be just for that reason. I was told the bolt-on mount was only for the later aluminum KX250/450f frames.
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

aw man :sad: I guess ill hold off on one for the time being then, thanks for the heads-up!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'm using a bolt on mount for the WER on my 89. Hasn't caused me any problem. For $100, jump on it. Worth every penny.
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Julien D wrote:I'm using a bolt on mount for the WER on my 89. Hasn't caused me any problem. For $100, jump on it. Worth every penny.
Would you by any chance have any pics of how you mounted it?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

No, but I can get you one. It's a small (maybe 1/4") hole drilled all the way through the gusset. I can't imagine one small hole causing any weakness in the massive gusset they use on the E bikes.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Hmm, I didn't know you did it that way, J. Thanks for the info. WER told me, specifically, that it wouldn't work on the E. Ugh. :roll: I would rather have done that than weld on the tab like I did. Would have been so much simpler. Still concerns me, though, drilling a hole near one of the most stressed areas of the bike. Do you jump your bike, J? If so, and obviously there hasn't been a problem, then I guess it isn't worth worrying about.
'11 GasGas EC250R
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I have the same WER that I've used for 15 years on several different bikes - they all had the quarter-inch bolt attachment, a KX, a YZ and several KDX's - never a problem. Welding a bit of angle iron to the side of the frame would be easy too (and cheaper). On my other KDX I'm running a Scotts damper up front just the way the WER mounts (had to make some stanchions), I called Drew at WER and he sold me just the frame mount for that installation. He'll sell any part separately.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I've been reading more about this damper unit and it seems like it would really help in the single track I ride through, and possibly an enduro I might race later this month. But the guy didnt leave a phone number and hasn't responded to my email yet. I remember when I rode a buddy's 2011 CRF 250, those bikes come from the factory with a steering stabilizer and I could nearly drag the footpegs on the ground and still have complete control. I wonder if the WER will be similar to that, of course with good tires also. I've read an earlier post on here that with the KDX's fork flex the damper won't improve handling much?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

It will help but it can't cure the stock forks inherent limitations.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

SS109 wrote:Hmm, I didn't know you did it that way, J. Thanks for the info. WER told me, specifically, that it wouldn't work on the E. Ugh. :roll: I would rather have done that than weld on the tab like I did. Would have been so much simpler. Still concerns me, though, drilling a hole near one of the most stressed areas of the bike. Do you jump your bike, J? If so, and obviously there hasn't been a problem, then I guess it isn't worth worrying about.
Yes, I jump pretty frequently, a bit on an MX track, and plenty on the trails. It's a very small hole, and where its located, I can't see it being an issue. I never bothered asking WER, I got the setup used off ebay and just took a few minutes to figure out how to mount it up.
terminatr

Post by terminatr »

My amateur opinion is you need to weld it on.

By the way, my WER is for sale, and it is in excellent condition. Used only a twice before I took
it off my bike. It is super clean. $275. I'm in Friendswood.

I wouldn't buy the piece of junk looking thing on Craigslist.
2001 KDX220
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

terminatr wrote:My amateur opinion is you need to weld it on.

By the way, my WER is for sale, and it is in excellent condition. Used only a twice before I took
it off my bike. It is super clean. $275. I'm in Friendswood.

I wouldn't buy the piece of junk looking thing on Craigslist.
$#@&ing amateurs

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

well I picked up the damper today, looks to be in pretty good shape. the adjuster works good, but it's only a little easier to get the arm back to the center position than moving it inward or outward, and it seems to have slightly better dampening in one direction than the other. Is that normal? I can hear the squishing of the oil inside the unit when I move the arm. I can't find a rebuild kit (if need be) for this thing anywhere besides WER's website, and they charge $45. I've read somewhere that a rebuild kit only cost about $25? I can't find a diagram for it anywhere and I can't find an article on how to change out the oil and/or bleed out the air, it seems like it would be simple but I figured I'd ask before possibly screwing something up
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Well, Wibby, that is what WER says themselves. Shame on us for taking them at their word! :wink:
KDXrider1989 wrote:well I picked up the damper today, looks to be in pretty good shape. the adjuster works good, but it's only a little easier to get the arm back to the center position than moving it inward or outward, and it seems to have slightly better dampening in one direction than the other. Is that normal? I can hear the squishing of the oil inside the unit when I move the arm. I can't find a rebuild kit (if need be) for this thing anywhere besides WER's website, and they charge $45. I've read somewhere that a rebuild kit only cost about $25? I can't find a diagram for it anywhere and I can't find an article on how to change out the oil and/or bleed out the air, it seems like it would be simple but I figured I'd ask before possibly screwing something up
You can flush it and put new fluid in it and see if that helps but it probably is due for a rebuild.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Well, I don't need to post pics. Mine looks EXACTLY like Wibby's. Works a treat. Just get it done!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Hey Wibby and Julien, what if I were to drill in the thicker part of the frame thats below where y'all drilled a hole? The U-clamp on my damper doesn't extent out as a triangular shape like y'alls do so it's a little shorter (3rd pic)