H Kips Broken

Got questions? We got answers....
cj555rally
Supporting Member

H Kips Broken

Post by cj555rally »

Ok, so i pulled the exhaust off to replace the o rings and looked into the barrel.
Both sub valves not in same position and look cocked over a little, hmmmmm.
Cover and claw off (supported the shaft!) centre valve working but subs are not :sad:

Head and barrel off, remove every kips part to inspect. Only the subs are broken, in half and the pips on the bottom also. Does this happen on H as it seems to alot on E models?

Now i know the engine was fully rebuilt, no expense spared by a respected builder maybe 20 ish hours ago. Still fairly clean but does have some piston blow by because i know the PO did the as per manual run in. :neutral:

Any ideas what would cause this and anything to look out for? Should i check the actuator and pin?

No ride for me this week but i guess it could be worse!
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: H Kips Broken

Post by dfeckel »

Sorry to hear about the busted KIPS. I've been there now three times with my E series hybrid, but I really haven't heard too many cases like this with the H. If you can get a hold of the person who rebuilt the motor, ask him if he checked them over at the rebuild. Maybe they were still the originals. If so, then a new set may last for a good long time.
David Eckel
cj555rally
Supporting Member

Re: H Kips Broken

Post by cj555rally »

dfeckel wrote:Sorry to hear about the busted KIPS. I've been there now three times with my E series hybrid, but I really haven't heard too many cases like this with the H. If you can get a hold of the person who rebuilt the motor, ask him if he checked them over at the rebuild. Maybe they were still the originals. If so, then a new set may last for a good long time.
No worries, crap happens!

Yeah i know the guy personally who did the rebuild and everything was out as it was replated. If anything was suspect he replaced it. As i got the thing from the PO, i dont know when this happened. What i do know is i could never get the 1/4 throttle jetted just right and will guess this is why? Still had a good hit of power though and started 1st kick. Would just like to know why they broke :doh:

I have a spare barrel with bore damage that may have good subs, or would it be sensible to get new? £55 each approx. Will make a decision over the weekend. :rolleyes: