Mouse nest in the air box!

Got questions? We got answers....
L8L

Post by L8L »

Hi guys, i just bought a 1999 KDX. The guys on this forum gave me a lot of good advice and I settled on this bike for now as a "re-entry" to the sport. The price was right and it really does look pretty much new. HOWEVER....I was cleaning it up this weekend and had a bit of a surprise when I opened the air box to find a huge mouse nest. Basically the air filter (original I bet) had disintegrated and Mickey had been living in there for some time. I cleaned all of that out, replaced the filter, changed the gear oil and pulled off the carb. Carb was a bit gummy on the bottom but didn't look too bad. I didn't have the right stuff to spray in so I gave it a scrub with sea foam and clean gas. My question is, given the mouse nest debris was getting pulled through there when i ran it to test ride it, would there be damage to the engine (piston/cyclinder)? She runs, but likes to have some choke. I think the carb needs to come off again or at least some adjustments which I can do and maybe go as far as the reed valves which may have crap in them. I should also mention that i had input from several KDX owners who said i should replace the stock piston asap because they grenade unexpectedly. Maybe this is the time to do that? Any thoughts to A) possible engine damage and B) Should i do piston/rings (or have it done) right away?
thanks, Steve
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I doubt that you have done major damage to the cylinder by running it with a bad filter for a test ride. Most of what went thru was probably pretty soft stuff. If it only wants to run with the choke on then you (most likely) have a plugged pilot jet. And yes if it is a 220 you should really think about a new piston sooner then later. It is not that big of a job. The only thing you will need for "special" tools is a torque wrench.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

If you check out my thread youll see on my 95 kdx it also had a mouse nest in the filter. Mine was old and worn but the nest pretty much worked well for a filter itself. Also rode it to test drive it and then found out.

I went a little more and cleaned everything and really nothing seemed damaged and looked quite good. I would have to say unless you actually passed the mouse or mouse parts..... clean everything up you should be good to go.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
robkdx

Re: Mouse nest in the air box!

Post by robkdx »

Not sure I would want to be the rider behind you if you gave it a rev and the mouse went threw the motor........
L8L

Re: Mouse nest in the air box!

Post by L8L »

thanks guys. good info. i will research the piston on the forum. ICRage, i checked your thread...looks like you had similar issue, so glad it worked out. thanks, STeve