Riding on frozen trails

Got questions? We got answers....
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Riding on frozen trails

Post by diymirage »

Hey guys
I had a chance to hit some trails today and I found there is still a ton of ice/snow/sleet out there so after 10 minutes and a cracked fender I decided to pack it up and head home

No real big loss BUT I have a trip planned for next week and I really want to head out there

I came across a set of tires on craiglist that has kold kutters installed (they came off a KTM)
Would this keep my front end from wiping out ?

Ive never ran studded tires before...is there anything else I should know or look for ?

Thanks guys :)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Riding on frozen trails

Post by rbates9 »

This late in the year I wouldn't bother getting screwed tires unless they were VERY cheap. When you get done changing them you will find out why. Make sure you have plenty of band aids near by.

But yes they should help with keeping the bike upright. Kold Kutters don't really last that long on dirt tho and if you are riding with some one make sure they stay back far enough that when the screws pull out or snap the heads off they don't get hit. Also the traction you gain on the frozen ground will be a trade off for the traction you loose on rocks.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Riding on frozen trails

Post by diymirage »

thanks Bates, they are cheap indeed (20 bucks for the set) and especially the front still looks great

i've been pondering getting a set of dedicated winter rim/tires since ive had the bike and i REALLY dont want to miss out on next weeks ride (cabin fever so to speak) so this seemed like a good option to try it out

so...i dont supposed that once the kold kutters are installed you could remove them and expect the tire to still perform decent?

rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Riding on frozen trails

Post by rbates9 »

I have screwed a tire for the winter and then removed what ever screws were left in the spring and the tires didn't have anything wrong with them. Just a bunch of holes from the screws. But if the tires you are looking at have a liner in them then you will probably want to take them back off due to the extra weight that you don't need.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Riding on frozen trails

Post by diymirage »

picked them up last night AND got them mounted the same evening
im glad to say studded tires arent any harder to mount then non studded tires, but on the down side, they dont mount any easier either

i must say, the bike looks mean with those kold kutters
cant wait to get it out and see if i can point her in the direction i want to go now AND actually get there