Downshifting w/o clutch

Got questions? We got answers....
terminatr

Downshifting w/o clutch

Post by terminatr »

According to the Thumpertalk guy in the technique section, it is okay to downshift w/o pulling in the clutch. He said it won't put wear and tear on the transmission. He said use a bit of throttle when downshifting, in order to match engine and tranny speed.

I think he might be talking about MX racing and fancy MX bikes, where winning is everything.

I have tendonistis on my left wrist. So I need to minimize the clutch action. And, I don't race. I just ride for fun.

I tried a few times to downshift before going into turns, and I heard grinding noise every time. Maybe I didn't match the engine speed properly.
Last edited by terminatr on 11:23 pm Mar 24 2013, edited 8 times in total.
2001 KDX220
argclh6670
Supporting Member

Re: Downshifting w/o clutch

Post by argclh6670 »

Thats the I ride, have so for a long time. I also shift up without too. Not always mind ya. Pretty handy in the trails.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Downshifting w/o clutch

Post by bufftester »

Well, your guy at TT is right...and wrong.

You can shift without the clutch, both up and down. I have been doing it for years, on bikes and semis.
Of course it puts wear and tear on the transmission, the only way to avoid that is not ride. Now does it put additional wear and tear over using a clutch? Yes it does, though how much is one of those long debate items. Certainly on my own bikes I have seen additional wear in the clutch basket fingers due to the shock loads encountered when shifting unclutched. That is (besides making starting and stopping easier) one of the main reasons to use a clutch. It decouples the transmission from the crankshaft and reduces the shock load. The reason you use a bit of throttle when downshifting is to try and get the crankshaft spinning near the speed it will be in the lower gear, again to lessen the shock load that will be transmitted through the transmission from the output shaft through the clutch to the crankshaft.

As for your tendonitis, Wrist exercises can help your wrist recover or can even prevent tendonitis from occurring. One of the most recommended ones is tendon gliding exercises which improve lubrication in the tendons for greater ease of motion. To do them, start with a flat hand. Touch your fingertips to the top of your palm --- or as close as you can get --- then release. Touch your fingertips to the center of your palm, then release. Then touch your fingertips to the bottom of your palm and release. If this sounds familiar...try it and see what motorcycle activity it resembles :hmm: Of course consult an actual health professional first (which I am not :mrgreen: )