what is the best year/model for hare sramble/XC?

Got questions? We got answers....
L8L

Post by L8L »

Hi, I am new here...so be gentle. I am an ex motocrosser (nothing serious, just a lot of banging around on 2 strokes in my teens and again in late 20's. last bike was 93 CR 250). I am now 42 and want to get back into some basic enduro, hare scramble and riding around my farm. I have always loved the KDX and have settle on getting one. My question is....are there better years than others? I have seen a mint condition '99 220, and then some 2005 220's for similar price but more abuse. do i go for the barely used '99 or the newer model (with presumably newer/better tech..suspension etc?). any and all thought are much appreciated.
Best, Steve
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: what is the best year/model for hare sramble/XC?

Post by diymirage »

sounds like you have your heart set on a 220?
in that case condition is much more important then age

the 220 was offered from 96 through 2006 and the only changes made during that decade of production was to the decals that were applied to the bike

one thing that is extremely important with the 220 is the question: is it running a stock piston?
im pretty sure my 96 200 still has the stock piston in it and it may still have many more years left in it but the 220 piston is prone to shattering so IF you find one that is running a stock piston a top end rebuild should be first on your list

all of the H model KDXs (96-06) can be made very competive with a pipe and a good suspension tune
the biggest thing to replace would be the front forks which could be as simple as a direct bolt on KLX 500 or any KX front end with a stem swap

altogether a rather painless operation

i you are pulling the bikes you are looking at on craigslist feel free to start a thread here to compare them all in and we'll be more then happy to supply you with our thoughts on them

one more thing, how close are you to michigan ?
this one looks great ;)

http://holland.craigslist.org/mcy/3631904426.html
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

When shopping for a KDX they didn't change other then cosmetics from 95-06 for the 200 and the 220 went unchanged from 97-05 except for cosmetics. So you should buy based on the condition and not so much the year.

The 200 is considered to be "faster" and the 220 to have more bottom end. Both bikes are the same bike other then the top end and a few other trinkets so many parts are interchangeable.

If you have a 220 in mind then it will be worth your time to check the top end and see if the piston is stock and if so you will want to replace it sooner rather than later. They have been known to have the skirt break off the piston and wreak the top end. It doesn't happen to every single one but enough of them to address it before it has a chance to.

Welcome to the site!
L8L

Post by L8L »

guys, thank for the info...very helpful. I had no idea the 220 went unchanged from 97-05. good to know. I am up in Canada, just north of Toronto. For whatever reason there are no 200's on kijiji or craigslist...only 220's. either guys keep their 200's or there were less of them sold in Cda?? thanks for the offer to look at some links for me. here are a couple i am looking at. obviously i wont pay asking...but the '99 looks to be mint.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z463694751

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z453561208

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z468058593
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

the 99 does look good
looks all stock (i would expect a stock piston in there)
only issue i see with it is that the chain may be a hair too tight

the 05 doesnt look bad iether, that pipe will really wake it up and it will be nice to also have the stock headlight

the 02 i dont like, too many differences between the two pictures and the missing forkboots are begging for bad fork seals

between these 3 bikes the 02 has the best price BUT the 99 looks like the best deal

did you check out the one i listed?
it is a 200 and at the price im asking i could probably ship it to your and your still cheaper off then the cheapest of the 3 you listed ;)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Criminy, the 99 was only $4500 US when it was BRAND NEW. I bought my 2001 220 for 1700 in 2003. We have had a couple doxen KDX's on CraigsList here in Seattle the last few weeks going for an average of around 1600 US, looks like I need to buy up a bunch and go visit my neighbors to the North, eh? :grin:

I can see the border conversation already. Going North with 10 bikes: Where you headed? Riding with a bunch of friends.
Coming back with an empty trailer: Where you headed? Home after riding with a bunch of friends. :lol:

Seriously though, all the stuff they said above...condition trumps age on the KDX, and price trumps everything else.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I would ask the seller of the `99` kdx whats the least he would accept for the bike...it looks very clean ,hardly ridden & standard condition which is a bonus as you can do all the usual aftermarket mods yourself ( so you know things have been done correctly! ) ..i had my 2003 220 imported from canada some 4 years ago, i only replaced the piston last year after covering some 5000 miles & to be honest it still looked like new..for piece of mind a top end strip with a new piston shouldnt take long to do & not too expensive either (ask the seller how long he has had the bike & has the piston been changed ) a bike in this condition should go on for many many years, if the owner wont haggle in the price then the bike is still worth the $$ given the condition & the amount of inexpensive fun you will have riding a kdx :grin:
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I race mine, and the stock forks are way under par. They hang in ruts, have no compression damping, and come with extremely soft springs. I put DRZ units on mine, but a KX fork is more common. The bike turns and climbs very well since I got it balanced.

I am a C- racer, and am faster on the KDX 200 than my WR450. I am on the gas far more on the KDX in the woods. I lose ground in the open and on big hills to the more powerful bikes in the senior open class. I run 200cc class where they offer it and do well.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I think I would lean toward the 05 due to it already having the basic up grades. The exhaust ($350+/-), the skid plate ($80+/-), the aluminum bars with hand guards ($100+/-) that you will most likely want and or need to do soon after you buy it anyway. It also looks like it doesn't have that much time on it due to the stock front tire still being on it. I have never heard of anyone saying anything good about the stock front tire so I can't imagine that anyone would put another one back on. Plus if you ever wanted to sell it down the road a newer bike will bring more money then an older bike. Most people will see a 14 year old bike vs a 8 year old bike and want the newer one.
L8L

Post by L8L »

All great advice guys, thanks very much! I have spoken to the guy with the '99. He is second owner and says he got an incredible deal when he went to pick up a street bike (the owner said he basically never rode it and packaged it in). I think i can get it for $2k-$2200. I am seeing it tomorrow.
good input guys on the benefits of the '05 (lots of goodies thrown in, perceived benefit of newer model yr when i resell...but some extra milage) vs the '99 looks squeaky clean and i can do the mods i like...but have to pay for them! toughie. will let you guys know where i end up. glad to have the input...wish i had this kind of community when deciding to get married :lol: Steve

re Diymirage ...i would grab your in a second, but would be a hastle bringing it over and the savings would be lost
L8L

Post by L8L »

and i agree...passing on the '02
L8L

Post by L8L »

[quote="bufftester"]Criminy, the 99 was only $4500 US when it was BRAND NEW. ....maybe we can set up a crossborder biz!
L8L

Post by L8L »

hi all..thanks for the input...I ended up buying
a '99 KDX for $2200. a bit about the bike
the thing is basically new..it probably has less than 100km on it
It is totally stock.
it has a green paper ownership, which in Ontario means i will be able to street plate it
i am third owner. The guy i bought it from ended up with it when he bought a street bike from the widow of the fist owner who had a bunch of street bikes plus the KDX. she didnt know what to do with it so made a pkg deal. The guy I bought it from never started it, and by the looks of it, the old fellow rode it 2 or 3 times.
some pics and a video attached.
again, thanks to everyone for the input. i will likely do piston and forks...it has been sitting for years..so i assume i should change out fluids and plug etc. any advice on that is welcome! Steve

ps, i cant figure out how to attach a photo or would show you guys what it looks like
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

well done i think you made the right choice in buying a nice clean unmolested bike rather than someone elses used & abused...good clean low hour kdxs are getting quite rare these days, i wouldnt worry about the purchase price of the bike given its age/history as they tend to go on condition rather than age anyway.
L8L

Post by L8L »

thanks Cornish...glad to hear KDX's are ripping it up in the Mother land (my family is from Sheffield...now in Canada). good input. cheers