broken fueltap

Got questions? We got answers....
nick kdx

broken fueltap

Post by nick kdx »

ok guys so can anyone help me out with this

my fueltap seems to be broken,i set it in the "off" position and it leaks fuel drip for drip,so even while the bike is standing for long periods the overflow has the same constant drip drip

i can see 2 screws holding fueltap together but if i strip it is it possible to fix? has anyone else had this prob or am i in need of a brand new fueltap?

thanks guys
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: broken fueltap

Post by diymirage »

there is a little seal in between the petcock (fuel tap) and the tank
it could be leaking there and in need of replacement

i find it hard to believe the bolts holding the petcock in are stripped
i mean, how often do you wrench on there?

can you show me a picture of your KDX ?
there is a chance you have an aftermarket tank on it and it just may be that the inserts are not seated well
this will prevent the seal from properly sealing and cause it to drip drip drip
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

The actual petcock its self has a little rubber seal inside that seals against the knob, the rubber eventually wears out enough to allow fuel past it whether its closed or not. You may be able buy just that seal but I doubt it, you'll probably have to buy the whole thing. What year bike do you have?

Edit: it looks like they do sell them. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Petcock-Re ... 5d3c1a5971
I'd open yours up first and make sure it looks the same.
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
robertotjr

broken fueltap

Post by robertotjr »

Mine has the same problem and I just bought the same kit listed above. You probably just need one too.
1995 KDX 200
nick kdx

broken fueltap

Post by nick kdx »

mines a 2000 model

spoke to a kawasaki dealer today and they said they can order the little rubber stopper inside but its a 3week wait,spose its better than buying a whole new tap hey!
nick kdx

broken fueltap

Post by nick kdx »

im not to clued up on how to post a pic here??? :blink:

and in my first post i never said it was stripped,i asked if i stripped it does anyone know if the parts are available

i've looked at a 2006 model in a bike shop and it has the same tap that my 2000 model has so it must be standard right???
robertotjr

Post by robertotjr »

yes, from 95 to 06 same tap.
1995 KDX 200
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Normally the o-ring (p/n 92055 below) is the culprit, as well as 43049. Here in the US its available from several online sources, not sure hwere you're at though.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

broken fueltap

Post by ICRage42 »

On mine when I got the bike I had the same problem.

The guy who owned the bike for a little bit told me it was fine and recently started leaking.

I took the petcock apart and replaced the O ring part number Bufftester said and that worked for me. Ive ordered the repair kit which has those parts new he stated in the package and pretty cheap here.

My O ring was broke. More then likely from getting dry or old I dont know. Bike sat for a bit.

I put a (cheap store here) harbor freight O ring in from a kit I bought a while ago and it stopped leaking for me and operated just fine since. I havent put the repair kit on yet was holding off till it failed again.

I dont know what stores and whatnot you have around you there in Brazil but I would go back to the bike shop you were at and I would assume they would have something there of the same size or order something for you.

If they are jerks about helping you then take your parts with you and say oh well let me take the 06 for a testdrive and whalla go around the bend and swap parts and come back and say NAH this thing sucks it even leaks like mine and walk away :lol: Jus jokin thats just funny but wrong.

But on a good note might just be able to replace the O ring and stop dumpin the liquid gold onto the ground.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
nick kdx

broken fueltap

Post by nick kdx »

i live in South Africa

they not too efficient with parts and advice here

but thanks for the posts and that diagram is very helpfull so thanks,think ima strip it and take the damaged (if i find any) orings in with me