Tire of choice for the North east (SW PA)

Got questions? We got answers....
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I was thinking I want an intermediate tire. I'd like a soft/intermediate tire, but I think it would wear off too quick. Mainly all I ride is mud and dirt with the occasional quarry or slate dump and a casual cruise around the neighborhood every once in a blue moon. I really liked the maxxis maxx cross intermediate tire.

That was what I planned to get. When I was at the local bike shop the other day, the kid at the parts desk couldn't stop telling me about how much he loved the Pirelli scorpion xcms's (and we actually ride on the same trails... but i dunno if he's full of b.s. or not, don't really know him all that well)

They do look pretty mean. I looked at a front one when I was at the bike shop and looks like it would bite pretty well in the turns. I dont think I would mind running a scorpion up front and a maxx cross out back.

But I dunno, the last set of Pirelli's i had wore off pretty damn quick, so i said i wasn't going to buy them anymore (can't remember what it was at all, someone gave me a free new rear at the time). The last tire I ran was a kenda millvale and I love it, but can't seem to find it in a 100/100-18 or a 110/100-18.

Anyways, what do you guys think is the best all around tire for our SW PA or the northeastern part of the country's terrain?
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
TheJackRabbit
Supporting Member

Re: Tire of choice for the North east (SW PA)

Post by TheJackRabbit »

I also live in SW PA just north of Pittsburgh and I run a Michelin S-12 XC Soft Terrain on the rear, it hooks up great in the mud and soft dirt.
It will however wear quickly if you ride on hard packed quad trails, or the streets :lol:
I was running the stock front tire for a little, but it was horrible for mud and soft stuff.
I'm running some bridgestone thing front tire now and it's a whole lot better
http://www.youtube.com/allthatstuff35 <--- some KDX videos here
I'm smarter than I act
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I had a Pirelli scorpion front and I don't think I have ever had any other tire wash out so bad as that did. Other then maybe the stock tire but it would be close.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Seems like the dunlop mx51's are the only intermediate tire that any shop likes to stock around here lol I ended up getting those. I'm diggin em so far, I only rode on em for about an hour on friday. It was nice not having my front end want to wash out on me constantly lol

Heres the mx51 next to the old trackmaster

I even grabbed some plastic shields for my bark busters too...
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I have had good luck with the Pirelli Scorpions on the clay and shale. I run a MS (medium-soft) on the front and a mxms on the back. The front rarely washes out but I have showa forks. I have been surprised how well the rear sticks climbing shiny clay banks. I think they wear well but I am not on hardpack often. I really struggled in the mud with the scorpion MH (medium-hard)
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Ill let ya know on my front I bought almost same design cant remember off hand what brand. Works well on mud/clay here from what I could tell before more work on bike. What was on the bike I would wash out tons with the new one I was real happy and restored confidence.

How many times do you trip in your garage btw :lol:
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

ya, I know a hard pack or medium/hard tire would do me dirty. Its almost always muddy no matter where I go. Im glad I didn't go with the scorpions from what you guys said.
ICRage42 wrote:How many times do you trip in your garage btw :lol:
you sound like my dad! :kick: hahaha he dreads working on stuff at my place just for that reason. I was working on the bike and the quad at the same time and I like to keep all my tools and crap out until I'm done workin... makes for a bigger mess and longer clean up, but I know where everything is haha so yea its messy, but im no longer in my parents garage, so what do i care!? :boogie: lol
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

did you get your suzuki?

rofl had to edit I spelled suki first hahahahaha.

The 400 you were lookin at or whatever?
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

lol I call em zuk for short. nah, I didn't... plans changed when I got bad news about the upcoming year at work. The quad is 250ex that is my buddy's secondary quad. I did a bunch of maintenance to it, fixed all the stuff that was wrong with it, and slapped some new tires on it, so he's lettin me keep it at my crib to ride whenever. I really only ride it on the weekends when its real muddy and a bunch of people come over to ride. Most of my buddies that I have been riding with lately all have 4wd quads and just like to cruise and enjoy the scenery... so I can make due with the little turd until it dries out a little and my bike buddies start riding again lol

I was real bummed to when I decided that It wouldn't be very smart for me to buy the quad. Then after I put these new tires on and ripped around a bit on the bike, I got my mind off the quads and got my love back for the bike lol. I did however ride a $10k banshee this weekend... and my goodness lol it was easily the fastest quad I've ever ridden. It was a blast just putting it sideways EVERYWHERE... but man did it beat me up lol. I think it wore me out more than the KDX! I dunno, maybe I'm just getting old haha
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Most any bike or quad will tire you more than the KDX...They are so easy to ride.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250