Tire recommendations for a tubliss setup.

Got questions? We got answers....
iregret

Post by iregret »

I recently picked up a 2001 KDX220. I would like to replace the rear tire. I'm open to any and all recommendations.

I've searched the forum. Right now I'm leaning towards an M5B 120/80-18. It seems like people partially base their recommendations on how low they can run their tire pressure. Since I have a tubliss setup, I'm not sure if that matters.

I live in oregon and I'll be trail riding.

Thanks!

Justin
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

I have been thinking lately about one of the hard sidewall, desert tires with no air in the tubliss setup. Just haven't pulled the trigger due to the cost and not needing new tires right now.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I also run Tubliss. I run it with a Maxxis IT (not the desert version). I love this combo. With the tire pressure somewhere between 8lbs (fast fire roads) and 5lbs (true single track) it will handle about any situation with no problem. Also, I normally get a solid year of riding on the Maxxis before it needs a change.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I go between a Maxxis IT and a trials tire depending on the days events. The Maxxis does seem to last forever for a knobby and works well for just about everything I have rode on. Once the mud dries up the trials tire goes back on to help tame the rocky trails I frequent.
iregret

Re: Tire recommendations for a tubliss setup.

Post by iregret »

What size maxxis it are you guys running?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I think it is a 100/100. If you go with one of them you should be happy with it. They are a great all around knobby at a reasonable price that wears great.
iregret

Post by iregret »

The M5B and Maxxis IT are within 10.00 of each other.
jeeptech1

Post by jeeptech1 »

This months dirt bike magazine had an article on running the tubliss with a Dunlop dessert tire at 0 psi. They loved it minus mounting it.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

iregret wrote:What size maxxis it are you guys running?
I'm running the 110/100-18.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Tubliss just BEGS for a trials tire at ridiculously low pressures.
iregret

Post by iregret »

I don't know much about the trials tires. Can you guys please recommend some to me?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

iregret wrote:I don't know much about the trials tires. Can you guys please recommend some to me?
I love my Michelin trials tire. It has a very, VERY soft side wall that will wrap around anything. The tread wear is great. I have one season on it and I might turn it around after next season. Might not.

If you are thinking about a trials tire things to keep in mind are, they are great on rocks, hard pack, slimy stuff, tree roots, pretty much anything that a knobby will spin out on a trials tire will bite into and go. But they do have draw backs. They are not so good in deep sticky mud, they will get you thru but at a slower rate. High speed they tend to wash out pretty quick due to the low pressure that they need to work like they should leeds to a lot of side wall flex. You can't run (most of them) flat due to the soft side wall. On a neutral note, places that you would like to slip the clutch and let it have it they aren't happy with. And places that you would normally expect to spin a little the front end will probably come up. They are a very different tire that needs a learning curve before you can really know what to expect out of them. Once you get past the first few rides and figure out the way they work you will fall in love with them, IF you ride on ground that they work well in. The Michelin is rated one of the stickiest of the trials tires but also is the softest so if you get a flat and ride out of the woods with it the tire will be junk. I bought the Bridgestone Ultra heavy duty tubes to put in my trials tire and the tube is just about as thick as the tire. Really. I would recommend that tube if you go the trials tire route.

Julien D wrote:Tubliss just BEGS for a trials tire at ridiculously low pressures.
I know with the Michelin trials tire at 6 PSI with my girlish figure there is little to no room between the rim and the rocks at times. :wink: So I don't know how low you could really go with it. But the grip would be amazing with the lower pressure.