KDX's limitations?

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

KDX's limitations?

Post by SS109 »

Again, the KDX competes against modern bikes with no problem. You don't see pro riders using them because, hello, they haven't been in production since '06 and their last "update" was in '95! If I was a pro I'm sure I would probably be riding a Gas Gas or Husky. However, it wouldn't be because the KDX wasn't capable. It just is a bike that already is old in terms of hours and the associated wear and tear that goes with it and you need every bit of edge you can get in the pro ranks. Modern suspension, how the weight is carried, more power, etc. can make a difference at the pro level.

As for KDX vs XR400, I wouldn't take the XR for anything over the KDX except if I planned on dual sporting. Otherwise, the KDX kills it everywhere!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

KDX's limitations?

Post by kawagumby »

froggy wrote:The 1995-2006 200 is a great bike. You dont need a hybred. I was AA team green rider in th mid 90's on that bike. Lots of people told me I needed more bike, its a play bike, etc... I won some overalls on that bike, but it did have some things that could of been better. The forks were a weak spot because Kawasaki wanted to keep the price down. Today I think this is still great bike, thats why we have this site, because its still a popular bike. I say keep your stock bike, do a fork swap, send the rear shock to factory connection, race tech, etc..., and you will have suspension that is taylored to you and work as good as any 2013 model. Suspension has not changed that much in the last 15 years. The suspension changed a lot from the early 70's to the early 80's, but since then not quite as drastic. A hybred to me takes some of the things away from a stock 200 that makes it good: a low seat height, shorter wheel base, simplicity. A kdx was made to ride in the woods and it is still hard to beat in the eastern tight woods. It still does give up a little in the more open faster, whooped out terrian, but it did that when it was new. I have been racing a 1985 200 in some vintage races for the past year and have been having a ball. I can ride that bike almost as fast as my modern bike, and that is mid 80's technology. If it had better brakes(drum) I think I could ride it just as fast as my modern bike. It all boils down to what you feel comfortable on. If you are Russell Bobbit you are not going to ride this bike as fast as your new KTM. For me a 44 year retired AA rider I can ride it as fast as a new bike. It all boils down to what you are comfortable on, thats why I rode one back in the day. I did eventually move to a KTM 200. The KTM was more updated and suited my riding at the time( I was at the prime of my AA riding ). I think most people do a hybred because they love the 200, and what to make it a little more modern. I dont think you will be any faster on it. Some people may a be a little fater on a hybred, because it all boils down to what you are comfortable on. I was going to buy me a new KTM 250F, but after riding my 85 200 I have decided to find me a 95-2006 200, do a fork swap, revalved taylored suspension, new footpegs, pipe, silencer, a little carb & head work (RB designs) and will have a bike that puts a smile on my face. I currently ride a new Yamaha WR250F. This is also a bike that most people think is outdated and a girls bike. I had a 2012 KTM 250 XCW, that I sold because I liked the Wr better. The KTM was a 2 stroke, and maybe thats why I didnt like it, thats why I was thinking about a KTM 250F. In the end I am going to keep my little WR, and find and build me 200, that way when I show up to race( 40A) people will think I have 2 bikes you cant go fast on. Hybred or stock, its what makes you happy.

I agree 100%.

I even got rid of my 08 WR250F just cause I can do more on my modded KDX's - and I hardly ever have to work on a KDX - less work=more ride!
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
gregoryk

KDX's limitations?

Post by gregoryk »

I've had my 2003 KDX for about 8 years and have done the common mods for power, but no suspension mods. I've occasionally gone on line looking for KX forks but have yet to find any and buying a KX-125 just for the forks seemed like a lot of work. My riding buddies all have new 4 strokes but I keep up fine and can usually beat them in when the riding really gets rough and especially on long loose rough up hills because I have an auto clutch. Last weekend I took out a new friend who had just got a 2003 CR-250 several months ago that had literally never been ridden as far as we can tell. I took him out to one of my favorite desert rides which included jumps, steep rocky sections with step ups and lots of big and small loose rocks. At one point he said, "how can you go so fast, I just can't keep up my suspension is too harsh". He used to ride the track but has not ridden for a while and is not used to riding rough Arizona double track. So I suggested we swap, (he absolutely love riding the KDX). He definitely needed to do more carb work as the CR ran a bit ragged and the suspension was stiff but not so bad if I just stood up. Within 10 minutes howerer I had adapted to the harshness, that once up to speed was not harsh at all and was riding faster than I ever had by a long shot. I was taking the fastest and oftentimes the roughest lines through rocky crap that I could never do on my KDX. I could fly over the roughest stuff and not hardly feel a bump. It was point and shoot riding like I had never felt before. I went home feeling depressed as the old KDX suddenly felt painfully slow.

I figured a WR-250F would be the bike I'd probably buy if I could sell the KDX and the XR-400 that I own. But now reading the posts it seems like people are saying that I could get suspension on par with a new WR-250F. Maybe it would be worth the effort to do a fork swap and get the shock redone by some fancy suspension place. Can anyone tell me what it cost them to swap out the forks and what it costs to get the shock reworked at race tech or some place. Are the fork replacements ok as is or do they also need to be sent to race tech too since they are probably going to be well used? I am ok with the existing frame.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: KDX's limitations?

Post by bufftester »

Honestly, rebuilding the shock and forks is not that difficult. The key thing is to get them both sprung properly for your riding weight, since the Stock suspension is badly unbalanced. A fork swap isn't hard, the most difficult part being pressing the stem out of the KDX lower triple clamp and into the KX (easily done at most shops). I would spring the front and rear properly first, then work from there as far as valving and shim stacks and secret unicorn oil etc etc. You will be surprised how well the stock works when properly set up.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

KDX's limitations?

Post by scheckaet »

+1
1. get the proper spring rate for your weight!
2. go ride and adjust
3. smile

I'd do the fork swap before spending any money on front spring for the stock fork, then I'd spend the money on spring.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

"Going uphill I really miss more power in my 3rd gear, something that the 450`s have plenty, and 250 and 300 2 strokes also have.
2nd gear is just too slow. I always find myself giving full throttle on 2nd gear going up."
I agree with this, but the fix was a $12 part. I went to a 14t front sprocket and WOW, what a difference. It made 2nd gear a ridable gear in all terrain. If I hit a hill WOT in 2nd, I can easily pull the top in third! Now on a KDX with that gear ratio, your popping a hill somewhere in the 35-40mph range (WOT).

As far as suspension goes, I had the forks redone on my 94 (USD's) with new springs (had 29's) went to a 42 spring and a "balancer" hole drilled in the dampening rod. I can pound the crap out of it now and actually feel comfortable. Before the forks where redone, that bike would kick the crap out of me!

Just did a KX fork conversion on my 95, Haven't ridden it yet but I can tell you one thing.....It's taller up front now! Cost me about #350 when all was said and done.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

"Just did a KX fork conversion on my 95, Haven't ridden it yet but I can tell you one thing.....It's taller up front now! Cost me about #350 when all was said and done."

It shouldn't be taller unless the old forks were sacked out. The ride height needs to be correct - I use risers to clear the handlebars and move the forks up for the correct ride height with my USD's (actually I use the fatbar adapters which work perfectly).
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
jerry malbeck

KDX's limitations?

Post by jerry malbeck »

Granted im a OLD guy of 62 years old , Still riding with my friends , we have all been class A riders in the past and all held AMA pro licenses . At a recent cross country here in washington state none of us were passed by anyone sooo we must not be all that slow LOL. well on a every sunday ride schedule we all go together , the group varies in age groups from 14 , 25 30 and 60 year old guys we all ride about the same pace even the old guys are able to keep up with the youngsters . bikes vary from brand new KTM , Older KTM , New Yamaha YZ250f , New suzuki 250 RMZ and two KDX'S . the little green monsters we ride sure dont have any problem keeping up with the newer iron , And at any given moment they are able to pass and take the lead from the bikes mentioned . this is cross country sage brush covered sand with a real variety of elevations , up and down rolling hills and hard climbs . Ill admit i gotta ride harder then the guys on the 4 strokes , but that is the reason i have always been a 2 stroke fan , you have to RIDE it . A newer 4 stroke will make a good rider lazy , Its just to easy to twist a throttle and not have to plan your next move . I have yet to find a real limitation to the KDX , It does whatever i ask of it . Probably the best bike i have ever owned , And i have owned many . The only limitation on my KDX is MY lack of balls :oops:
ancient lunatic

Post by ancient lunatic »

hell yea Jerry :rock:
1990 kdx 200 E2, dyno port pipe
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

KDX's limitations?

Post by SS109 »

jerry malbeck wrote:The only limitation on my KDX is MY lack of balls :oops:
Yep! Same here! :supz: