Thread about what crankcase oil your running?

Got questions? We got answers....
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I know damn well that I read a thread on here a while back about what crankcase oil you guys were running...but I cant seem to find it :hmm: can anyone shed any light?

I'm thinking about trying out some ATF, but don't know what kind to get. If anyone can reply soon and let me kno, that would be great! Id like to just stop at the parts store on my way home from work.

I think I remember seeing stuff about running 10W-30 IIRC? Id like info on that too if there are any specifics on what to get.

Thanks a bunch!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

check my sig
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Thread about what crankcase oil your running?

Post by Julien D »

Not to nitpick, but in a 2 stroke, the "crankcase oil", is whatever you are mixing with the gas. The transmission oil does not lubricate the crankcase.

Personally, I use ATF type F. Always have, always will!
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Lol look at that, ur right. I was in a hurry and just got done googling the crankcase oil for a quad lol. Thanks for correcting me. However, this is my first 2-stoke, so yea, learn me things! Haha

Thanks for the quick replies. Any specific brand that u like better than another for the type F?
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Have buddies that run ATF Type F and swear by it. I'm using a motorcycle specific 10W-40 (for wet clutch use) that I got on sale at a local shop, whole case of 12 1 quart bottles for $25. Should last a whole season since I like to change mine every 4-5 rides.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

My advice is synthetic wet clutch approved motorcycle oil, ATF Type F (no specific brand, the cheap walmart crap works great), Or a 10w-30/40 motor oil WIHTOUT friction modifiers. If the label says "energy conserving", you don't want it. Even that is no gaurantee that it will play nice with your wet clutch, so if you want to use regular motor oil, use something tried and true. Rotella T is a well proven oil in dirt bike transmissions. By all means, try several. Different bikes definitely respond differently to different oil, and clutch / shifter feel is a very personal subject. Try a few and see what feels best to you when YOU are riding the bike.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I tried way to many different types and brands of oil any where from some 15 year old bottle of golden spectro 85wt gear oil (that was probably the best thing I have used to date but cant find the same one as what I had) to some $15 a quart snake oil that was supposed to be the best thing someone could put in a bottle. Price seemed to have little to do with the function of the oil. The expensive oil probably lasted the shortest amount of time for me. Now I am using Napa brand type F atf for no other reason then they are the closest place to by oil and it works really good for me and seems to last much longer then some of the other oils I have used before the shifting goes to crap.
GKBO
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GKBO »

I use 15-40 Rotella in all my 4 stroke bikes,planning on using it in the KDX trans case when the time comes.
ukkdx200

Post by ukkdx200 »

Im another user of ATF Ftype, I use a brand called comma not sure if you have them over there or if there just a british brand
N8Strine

Post by N8Strine »

I use ELF oil.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

N8Strine wrote:I use ELF oil.

i didnt know Kiebler made oil :boogie:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
potosi joe

Post by potosi joe »

I run Rotella T in my 4-strokes. I got started on the Rotella when I installed a Rekluse Z-start auto clutch in my RM250. Rekluse recommended the Rotella with there auto clutches. I am going to run the type F ATF in my KDX220.