Is the shock lower bearing hard to do?

Got questions? We got answers....
robkdx

Post by robkdx »

My rear shock lower bearing has play in it, are they hard to replace?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Is the shock lower bearing hard to do?

Post by bufftester »

No, can be done with a small vise, or even a hammer and the right size spacers (though I prefer using the vise). Hardest part is just removing the shock from the bike... If you're replacing the lower shock mount, then its a good idea to also do the upper, and likely the linkage bearings as well. The lower shock and linkage bearings are probably the most abused, least cared for item on these bikes.
robkdx

Post by robkdx »

Oh, I thought the bearing was in the link. I will have another look when I get home. I didnt think you needed to pull the shock.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Whoops, you're right, got my ends mixed up. Upper you have to pull the shock, lower just pull the link. One thing I did find was that if you order a linkage bearing kit, the lower shock bearing is not included, its the 2 big ones on the bell crank and the one on the bottom of the swingarm. You have to order the lower shock bearing separate. But I would do all of them at the same time, especially if they have never been done. If you are feeling play in the lower shock one hopefully it's just the bearing and not like this http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=13644.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

I agree and thats my mess of a linkage :lol:

It seems you can buy some kits with the lower shock bearing with it. Price is usually a little more if you buy them seperate. Pivot Works sells a set for linkage and lower shock bearing. Beware of cheap bearings as well. Youll be doing the work alot sooner then a better grade bearing. I purchased pivot works for mine and will let you know how long it last.

Also while your at it do a swingarm bearing swap. If you got play in one part your more then likely going to notice other bearings are gone too. I also agree this is probably the most neglected and abused part of the bike. Even tho they are seperate kits for linkage and swingarm and shock bearings, it is the most crucial to replace otherwise you might find yourself scrounging to find a linkage or part that doesnt exist anymore. You can still get the linkage part for I believe 160 from kawasaki. Thats alot considering you wouldnt have to replace it at all if you bought a 70 dollar bearing set.

Tear it apart and inspect what you have and what you have to do. Keep in practice of those actions. Buy some good grease (many topics on this here).

While your at it service the rear shock. Atleast change the oil. Have it recharged.....(walmart auto centers have nitrogen recharge here)

Usually a vice is preferred to do the bearing swaps but you can also use some threaded rod and some nuts, washers, and correct size sockets or spacers. You can look on youtube for some videos of doing it that way. Using some heat helps a ton. A little propane torch works wonders. I have both and used both so far to remove the older races and bearings. It was a little easier to do it that way instead of putting the swingarm into the vice to remove the bearing. I simply put the swingarm in vice with some towels to not mark it and removed the rest with threaded rod. Easier on the back. When I go to do the bearings I will probably pop em in the freezer for a while and heat up where Im gonna put em in a bit and they should go in fairly easy.

While your at it try to grab a manual for your bike and or get the online printable version. It will give you all the torque settings and bearing depths you need to install the new ones.

Installing a new bearing is easy ......removing the old one can be a pain.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
robkdx

Post by robkdx »

ICRage42 wrote:
Installing a new bearing is easy ......removing the old one can be a pain.
Your right there. Ive got everything out but the shell of the roller bearing. Its tight as hell and not thick enough to grip or press with anything. Ive tried heat, vice etc and wont move.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

dont know if you have enough unmangled (i had to cut the one I did to get out.) I was able to stick the needle bearings back into the sleeve or race. Not all of them but enough to budge it after heat and penetrating fluid.

Not sure if this is the best solution but it did work for me on the swingarm bearings where I had similar scenario. I didnt have any bearings left maybe one or two and wasnt able to press it out. Took the blade off of my hacksaw and just put it through the hole and reconnected. I VERRY VERY SLOWLY just cut the old sleeve in couple of spots making sure not to go too deep or ruin swingarm etc. You make a couple relief cuts on the rib of that race in a couple of spots youll be able to pry it up (also careful to not damage) with a small screwdriver and it then makes it somewhat smaller diameter. I was then able to use just a socket and some heat and it had something in the middle to push on and came out easily.

I didnt have to remove linkage bearings or shock bearing on mine that part was ruined and I recieved one from bufftester. I would imagine something like a coping saw or something similar could work.

Also which I should of mentioned too. Clean the inside out of grease or whatnot and heat that up for a bit. Yes I know its a bit backwards but what your doing is burning off the rust so to say from the race.....let cool Then heat outside and try to remove then. Sometimes the race if water gets in makes a rust bond in between race and part. In heating the outside part you make it a bit larger in diameter (heat expansion) but if that rust bond is still there its still a pain in the rear and wont budge. Remove seals etc and grease and apply some heat to burn off the rust around race on both sides. Let cool then heat the outer linkage again like before and it should move easier.

JUST DO NOT HEAT UP AROUND RACE ON INNER PART AND TRY TO PRESS OUT THEN!!! You will be forcing a slightly larger diameter through your bearing opening which would cause damage ....let cool all the way. ALL THE WAY!

The rust in between race and linkage creates a somewhat of a natures loctite.

Linkage I just took apart and put new bearings in linkage.
Pivot Works Linkage kit with lower shock bearing is 77 dollars I believe the linkage alone is 50 or so.

Bought the upper shock bearing
Pivote Works 21 dollars.

Fought for two hours on one swing arm bearing. Cutting and such like stated above. Finally got it out. Got disgusted and left garage for the day.

Came out the next day and heated up the race with benzomatic propane torch. Went inside and watched duck dynasty lol. Came out and heated it up again went back inside and watched a movie. After that I then went out and heated the swingarm and put some penetrating fluid on inner race and that thing came out with ease. I only had three or four needle bearings in it as well. I would of much rather of done this the first time. Much easier.

Now I was worried if heating the inside would do damage since it is so smooth. However I noticed no damage on mine. As long as your not using a high heat torch with oxygen or something, I dont see any harm. Im still a noobie myself on this so ask others too.

After all said and done I just took some 00 steel wool and cleaned up the insides. Froze bearings for a bit. Heated swingarm and installed greased bearing. Just put some grease on outside of bearing to help slide. Make sure on all you press them in to right depth for seals and bushings. You can measure on a socket how far that is and mark it with a tape and when you reach that mark you know your there.

Not to jack your thread but I was wondering about the inside of swingarm and linkage. Very smooth.....is their a special coating or whatnot to worry about with applying heat to there? I literally see no reference to this anyway and mine looks dam near new. Just wondering really. The oo steel wool is very fine and doesnt remove material I use it to clean my windows on vehicles. Removes everything without scratching glass and brings back the new look. I know glass is harder etc but dang this turned out great and will probably adopt this method for later rusted bearings.

Thoughts? :hmm:
robkdx

Post by robkdx »

Mine is rusted and the raised sides where the needles would press in are gone. Its just the part the bearings run on that are left. Will try cutting today.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

oh ok well just make sure you make enough relief cuts and DONT DAMAGE LINKAGE take your time is all I can say. Once its at that point your gonna need a beer a hug and patience. Use brass under pivot point where you put pick or screwdriver etc.

If you get it thin enough in two spots or so you might get it to break or bend enough to change its diameter to remove it easier.

Hell for that matter heat the outside and maybe buy a can of compressed air duster spray. Flip the can upside down and freeze the hell out of race. Ive used this a ton in auto fixes but kinda now kicking my self in the the rear for not thinking about it till now.

Ive broken locks on lockers this way at a company where employees would quit and leave with a locker locked. Invert and spray smack with hammer whalla.

Tons of videos on youtube and such on it.

Just not sure about the temp difference or effect on the alum linkage? Might crack it not sure. Usually in auto fixes and such you have a couple of inches of material where the linkage you dont have that.
Last edited by ICRage42 on 01:19 pm Mar 25 2013, edited 1 time in total.
robkdx

Post by robkdx »

What I don't understand is why there are no grease ports in the link, bearings would last so much long with a little grease after each ride. May get another link and put some in it as an experiment.
robkdx

Post by robkdx »

All done now, cutting and swearing was needed.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

rofl yep thats why i needed a hug ran out of beer and trying not to swear lol