Bulb is dual filament

Got questions? We got answers....
terminatr

Bulb is dual filament

Post by terminatr »

Hi.
I examined the my 220 headlight bulb. I see two filaments. But only one is wired up. Can I power both filament at the same time?

If not, is the second filament a backup? You flip it over after the first filament is burnt up?
2001 KDX220
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Bulb is dual filament

Post by diymirage »

yes and yes

its been a long time since i've seen my stock headlight socket but i would imagine it would take a little enginuity to make both filaments light up at once but it shouldnt be too dificult

the real questions is, will your stock stator be able to provide enough juice to light up both filaments, a tail light and a brake light

i do recal having spun mine around once when the first filament burned out and used the second one
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Bulb is dual filament

Post by SS109 »

Stock stator can barely run one filament let alone two. I started a thread a long time back that listed some higher output bulb options for the stock headlight. If you want usable light you will have to upgrade the whole light assembly and there are many different options there from mild ($) to wild ($$$)!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
terminatr

Bulb is dual filament

Post by terminatr »

I was thinking of powering both filament, in order to fool the inspection guy to think I have high and low beam. :evil:

I have a cheap Poliopsort headlight that has high and low beam, and I use it to pass inspection. I prefer the stock KDX headlight for riding around. The stocker seems much brighter.
2001 KDX220
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Bulb is dual filament

Post by rbates9 »

If you are just looking to make the bulb have a "high and low beam" then I would take power from the wires going to the head light switch and bypass the switch with another wire straight to the second filament so it is always on. Then the head light switch will be your "high beam" because it will still be connected as normal and light up the other side of the bulb. But as mentioned before, it won't be that bright. It will have a change in lighting out put to make the inspector happy tho.