Clutch Stuck

Got questions? We got answers....
usagi

Clutch Stuck

Post by usagi »

I'm sure it's something simple that I'm just missing, but I have an issue after removing the right side engine cover to replace the water seal. Everything seemed to go fine, until the very end. After I put the clutch cover on, the lever won't even move enough to connect the clutch cable. I took the cover off, and the clutch won't move at all. It will turn, but will not disengage. It feels like it's been welded. Where did I go wrong? What did I miss?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Clutch Stuck

Post by rbates9 »

What did you have apart while you had the cover off? Did you disassemble the clutch at all?
usagi

Re: Clutch Stuck

Post by usagi »

Not at all. Only the necessities. Water pump and KIPS gear.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Clutch Stuck

Post by rbates9 »

Did the clutch push rod and or shim washers go missing? Is the clutch actuator rod and arm in the correct position? It isn't slid up out of the cover is it?
usagi

Post by usagi »

Push rod et al seem to be in order. The washer (part # 92022) is not there, but the manual states 'if provided', and I'm pretty sure nothing fell out. The rod is seated and making contact at the edge of the flat side.
exilestudios

Post by exilestudios »

usagi wrote:Push rod et al seem to be in order. The washer (part # 92022) is not there, but the manual states 'if provided', and I'm pretty sure nothing fell out. The rod is seated and making contact at the edge of the flat side.
That's really strange. Did you make sure you had the washer behind the clutch basket? I made the mistake of missing this and my clutch basket ended up rubbing against the smaller washers that hold the main bearing in that side of the motor. This caused it to seem like my clutch wasn't engaging, as the rubbing was holding it back until it wore down the washers it was rubbing against. Before those washers got wore down it would still try to take off even while holding the clutch in.

Edit - After re-reading your main post I noticed you just mentioned taking the cover off, so this is likely not an issue in question. However, I wish you luck with getting it resolved. rbates9 is awesome at helping people out and leading you in the right direction, so it's likely he can help you get down to the problem. :wink:
Last edited by exilestudios on 09:13 am Mar 19 2013, edited 2 times in total.
usagi

Post by usagi »

exilestudios wrote:
That's really strange. Did you make sure you had the washer behind the clutch basket? I made the mistake of missing this and my clutch basket ended up rubbing against the smaller washers that hold the main bearing in that side of the motor. This caused it to seem like my clutch wasn't engaging, as the rubbing was holding it back until it wore down the washers it was rubbing against. Before those washers got wore down it would still try to take off even while holding the clutch in. Heh...that's one thing that still never fails to impress me about 2-strokes. They will continue to try to run under any condition.
The clutch basket wasn't removed while I had it open. I never even touched it other than wiping it down before reassembly. I guess I'll just have to open it all back up and see what I can find. I'm really at a loss here.
exilestudios

Post by exilestudios »

usagi wrote:
exilestudios wrote:
That's really strange. Did you make sure you had the washer behind the clutch basket? I made the mistake of missing this and my clutch basket ended up rubbing against the smaller washers that hold the main bearing in that side of the motor. This caused it to seem like my clutch wasn't engaging, as the rubbing was holding it back until it wore down the washers it was rubbing against. Before those washers got wore down it would still try to take off even while holding the clutch in. Heh...that's one thing that still never fails to impress me about 2-strokes. They will continue to try to run under any condition.
The clutch basket wasn't removed while I had it open. I never even touched it other than wiping it down before reassembly. I guess I'll just have to open it all back up and see what I can find. I'm really at a loss here.
Yeah, I edited my main post mentioning re-reading your main post and noticing you just mentioned only taking the cover off. Hmm. I would take rbates9's lead if I were you, as he's helped me greatly with my problems I've had. If it were me and all else failed I would pull the clutch off and check out the condition of everything. Then if it all looked fine I would probably pull the clutch apart then reassemble it, put it back in, and cross my fingers hoping it resolved something. Otherwise, if it doesn't look fine, then you'll know your problem.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

When you say the lever won't move enough to connect the cable, do you have the clutch cable already in the holder and are trying to turn the lever by hand enough to insert the cable end? If correctly assembled, you won't be able to move that lever by hand. You have to use the cable adjusters to get as much slack as possible. make sure the clutch cable is disconnected from the handlebar lever and connected to the clutch lever on the case. Then insert the end of the cable in the handlebar lever (takes some work, and I usually line up the slots in the adjusters, then place the cable end against the perch and use the lever to pull enough cable to quickly insert the cable in the slot, if that makes sense- basically install the clutch cable from the bottom working up to the handlebars).

As far as the clutch not disengaging, it wont with the cover off. The clutch springs are doing their job and clutch stays engaged until the pushrod is actuated.
usagi

Post by usagi »

Yep, it turned out to be the thing that should have been common sense. The cable took quite a bit of coercing to reach, but I got it. Now I just have to tear it all apart again and find out why the oil filled up with water as soon as I fired it up. Maybe I'm just not mechanically inclined.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Sounds like the pump gasket failed or had a nick or something. When I have days like that I just try to convince myself that it's practice lol.