H Kips questions

Got questions? We got answers....
martyparsons

H Kips questions

Post by martyparsons »

Hello,
working on a 2000 200 KDX. The starter was binding when released. Found it worked after the bolts on the case were loose. There is a .020 shim on the end of the shaft. I found a thinner shim..015 . I also think the case gasket was reused. I purchased a new gasket and am ready to reinstall. Found the Kips pin the rides into the governor was broken. So I have an order in for these parts.
Is there a reason the pin may have broken, is this a common issue with the H engine? Should I look for anything else. I think they just replaced the pin, clutch basket before the last ride. So the pin did not last to long. This time the pin did a little damage to the clutch basket but nothing that cant be cleaned up.
Any input ?
Thanks
Marty
TheJackRabbit
Supporting Member

Re: H Kips questions

Post by TheJackRabbit »

could you upload a picture of the damage to the clutch basket?
http://www.youtube.com/allthatstuff35 <--- some KDX videos here
I'm smarter than I act
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

H Kips questions

Post by rbates9 »

I think you will find that the shim you found is more to prevent the kicker assembly from wearing into the case then to take out play. There is a white plastic collar that needs to go in all the way and it can be a pain to get it in place and to stay there long enough to get everything together. That may be one of the issues with the kicker. Take a good look at everything and see if anything looks to be worn or hurt. Reusing the case gaskets wouldn't cause any binding because people have used silicone to put the side cover back on and not had any problems and silicone is much thinner than a compressed gasket could get.

The KIPS pin broke when the claw gear at the top of the actuator arm was tightened with out holding the shaft. When the (left hand thread) nut is removed or installed the shaft needs to be held so the pin in the governor doesn't get bent or broke. The pin breaking is not a common thing during use, just when the nut on the shaft is removed. The pin can over time get worn down on the sides but un less the KIPS was seized there shouldn't be enough pressure on the pin to hurt it.
martyparsons

H Kips questions

Post by martyparsons »

OK thanks,
What is the best method to place the kips lever into the governor. Do you install the governor in the clutch cover then install. OR put the governor on the engine then hook the kips lever while installing the cover.
Thanks
Marty
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

when i did mine i pulled out the governor and put it on the outer clutch cover
(a little drop of grease on the tail off the governor will keep it in the cover while you isntall it)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

H Kips questions

Post by rbates9 »

If you look at the case splitting thread in the general Q&A toward the bottom of the first post there is a picture of how I get it all back together.

Did you find the issue with the kicker?
martyparsons

H Kips questions

Post by martyparsons »

Hello,
The parts for the Kips will be here on Friday. So I will check the kicker then. I think you are correct the white plastic was sticking out and the spring was pulled to the side.
The last time it was running my son said the clutch was working strange, he was not riding it. When he came back from the ride the rear tire was flat, front tire had a spoke broken also flat, clutch was not working and the front sprocket was gone as in no teeth. Kill switch not working. One of his friends was riding it. He said here you go dad! So I am working through some of the issues.
When I took it apart, the clutch friction plates were hard to get out of the basket the top of the fins were tight. I did file the basket a little to make them have a little play. The governor lever I think took a trip around the basket, nice grove close the ring gear but other than that it looks ok.

So far I have replaced the chain, sprockets, rear tire new , new rear heavy tube, rear suspension linkage ( one of the inner races were broken) new air cleaner foam, cleaned the parts and what is left. It has some expensive aftermarket parts on it like a Fast by Ferracci triple clamp and large Husqvarna front shocks, 19 " rear tire, pro circuit pipe and silencer. We did the top end right before the last ride.
The suspension components has stickers that it was all redone.
I have been attempting to help him but stand back and let him make some decisions. I guess my plan was teach him to take care of his equipment. Did not go as planned. He purchase a new 2011 KX450 F
Marty
martyparsons

H Kips questions

Post by martyparsons »

Hello,
Received the parts today. The two thin springs or washers (the same size as the clutch basket outer ring) in the clutch basket. Would you explain how they are installed? They are cupped do they go a special direction? I did take a close look at the starter and the white spacer has a grove that may have not been in the correct location.
Thanks for your time.
Marty
CoronasAndChips
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

H Kips questions

Post by CoronasAndChips »

martyparsons wrote:Hello,
Received the parts today. The two thin springs or washers (the same size as the clutch basket outer ring) in the clutch basket. Would you explain how they are installed? They are cupped do they go a special direction? I did take a close look at the starter and the white spacer has a grove that may have not been in the correct location.
Thanks for your time.
Marty
Marty,
It's time to buy a manual...
Elbow grease contains no trans fat!
CoronasAndChips on XBox Live
BFBC2, BF3, COD 2,3,4, Black Ops, Red Dead Redemption, Tiger Woods 08' and 09' and Forza 2..... mostly
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

+1
martyparsons

H Kips questions

Post by martyparsons »

Hello.
Everything seems to work ok. Few short rides clutch and starter is working good. The front wheel assembly, Husqvarna? is way out of round. So I guess we will need to get someone to tru the spokes?

Thanks
Marty