Rear Shock Pre-Load Adjustment ??

Got questions? We got answers....
govols

Post by govols »

My "new to me" 2005 KDX220 rear shock pre-load is nearly maxed out. I weigh 150 pounds and need to reduce the pre-load...a lot. I don't have an adjustment tool. Do I have other alternatives or do I need to buy a tool?
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: Rear Shock Pre-Load Adjustment ??

Post by KarlP »

You can do it without the tool.

Loosen the top locking ring with a long punch and run it up the shock body out of the way.

Put the bike on a stand, lay it over in the dirt, prop it up on the kickstand or somehow get the rear wheel off the ground. You might get lucky and be able to reach in there and turn the spring which will turn the adjusting ring. If not, you can use the punch until you get some tension off the ring.

The correct tool is nice. If you are handy you could maybe make one.

I've always found that going by the sag "numbers" does not work for me. I've always set it to a recommended sag and then gone for a ride. I'll find a piece of typical trail that I can loop in 3-4 minutes and try it. Try tightening the sag up a bit and running the loop again, try looser, try again. I've always found that there is a spot that is just right. It makes a big difference.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I have "A" spanner wrench, not "The" spanner wrench. I think the one I have is smaller then the Kawasaki wrench and still find that it is easier to use a long punch. The softer the punch (brass, aluminum or even a hard wood dowel) the better for not hurting the adjuster nuts.
cshank

Re: Rear Shock Pre-Load Adjustment ??

Post by cshank »

Cave man tools work good big hammer ,long punch or steel rod just don't hit the threads on the shock