Rear tire, opinions on size.

Got questions? We got answers....
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Just wondering what size people like to run. I know stock is 100/100X18. Right now, mine has a 120/80X18 on it. I have never ridden this off road after I rebuilt it. So, I am just wondering what people are running for tire size. I won't even go into what brand tire people are using, that's just like the old which oil is better topic. If it matters, I am riding in New England(think rocks and roots). Thanks for the help.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I like the 4.00/18, you know like trials tires come in. :lol:
CoronasAndChips
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Rear tire, opinions on size.

Post by CoronasAndChips »

With that low profile of a tire "80" you're most likely in for a dented rim or a pinched tube in the rocks and roots if you run a lower air pressure for some grip. If you leave the tire with a higher air pressure you're likely to bend the rim on good hits. If you go back to a "100" height tire you can lower air pressure to get a cushion effect, run less risk of a tube pinch, dented rim etc.

I have never ridden a trials tire off road so I could be totally wrong when it comes to how they work or are designed.
Elbow grease contains no trans fat!
CoronasAndChips on XBox Live
BFBC2, BF3, COD 2,3,4, Black Ops, Red Dead Redemption, Tiger Woods 08' and 09' and Forza 2..... mostly
cragwl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cragwl »

rbates9 wrote:I like the 4.00/18, you know like trials tires come in. :lol:

Me too. :cool: Very cool. :cool:
In dog beers, I've only had one.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

CoronasAndChips wrote:I have never ridden a trials tire off road so I could be totally wrong when it comes to how they work or are designed.

Might be worth a try. :wink: Just not at the peak of mud season. I run my Michelin at about 6-8 psi and have not had a flat yet.
cragwl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cragwl »

I don't mind my Perelli MT43 in the mud. At least the wet mud. I suppose the sticky, thick, trying to dry out mud they're not good. It will be months before we start to dry out here in the NW. :wah:
In dog beers, I've only had one.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

cragwl wrote:I don't mind my Perelli MT43 in the mud. At least the wet mud. I suppose the sticky, thick, trying to dry out mud they're not good. It will be months before we start to dry out here in the NW. :wah:
As long as were off topic, trials tires do work in mud but if that is the first time you try one you most likely will not like it. I didn't. Once things dried out some it really shined. :grin:
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

CoronasAndChips wrote:With that low profile of a tire "80" you're most likely in for a dented rim or a pinched tube in the rocks and roots if you run a lower air pressure for some grip. If you leave the tire with a higher air pressure you're likely to bend the rim on good hits. If you go back to a "100" height tire you can lower air pressure to get a cushion effect, run less risk of a tube pinch, dented rim etc.

I have never ridden a trials tire off road so I could be totally wrong when it comes to how they work or are designed.
C&C, that is my thinking also. I am leaning toward the 100/100.

As for trials tires, I ride trials, one day coming out of the woods I got caught in a summer thumder storm and it turned the dirt road into an ice rink. It was like trying to ride on 2" of grease because my tires kept packing with mud. And that was with 4psi in them.
ROADSTR6

Post by ROADSTR6 »

I just installed an IRC M5B size 120/80/18. It has a pretty tall sidewall for an 80 height tire and the knobs on this thing are nasty. I can't wait to try it out :mrgreen:
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

The side wall height will be real close to the same size on both tires. The 100 100 18 will be 100 mm wide 100 mm side wall. 120 80 will be 120 mm wide 96 mm side wall. the second number is percentage of width = height.
MeistaB

Post by MeistaB »

I want to go with a Pirelli MT16 120/80-18 rear......wondering if it fits fine or is too big. Thanks, Steve.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

When I originally got mine, it had a 120/80-18 on it and it did not rub anything. I wound up putting a 100/100-18 on it due to the rocks and roots up here in New England and feel safer having a taller side wall. I still have not taken it for a ride though. Life keeps on getting in the way. :mad:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I like the 110/100-18. Gives a little more sidewall which is great with the really low pressures I tend to run (5-7psi) to protect the rim. It also helps a bit with getting everything leveled out after the KX fork conversion.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
MeistaB

Post by MeistaB »

Thanks guys....I guess I'll go with the 110/100, my mistake on the other size, it's a 120/100 and think it's way too big....have that on my XR and it's big and just barely fits.
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

MeistaB wrote:Thanks guys....I guess I'll go with the 110/100, my mistake on the other size, it's a 120/100 and think it's way too big....have that on my XR and it's big and just barely fits.
Running a 110/100 MT-16 in the back and a Bridgestone M59 in the front.

Good set up for New England.
For God and Country......Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

CoronasAndChips wrote:With that low profile of a tire "80" you're most likely in for a dented rim or a pinched tube in the rocks and roots if you run a lower air pressure for some grip. If you leave the tire with a higher air pressure you're likely to bend the rim on good hits. If you go back to a "100" height tire you can lower air pressure to get a cushion effect, run less risk of a tube pinch, dented rim etc.

Gotta love it when someone completely talks out their ass :roll:

Been running 120/80 18's for years at anywhere from 9 - 12 psi without any problems
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS