02 KDX200 replacing clutch plates first time need your help

Got questions? We got answers....
patricksutton

Post by patricksutton »

Hello,
I am replacing the clutch plates in my 2002 KDX200. The clutch cover has its own gasket correct? It looks like there are 6 bolts that hold the cover to the basket on but my manual has me removing 9 bolts and removing the whole engine cover?? Can I just get the clutch cover gasket? I was hoping to not have to drain the coolant.

I bought the motion pro clutch holder - has anyone used that? Does it work as it should? I think this is what I will do:

Soak the new plates in oil for awhile
Warm the bike then drain the oil
Lay the bike on it's side
remove 6 bolts holding the cover
Use the motion pro tool to hold it will I cry and scream to get the center nut off
remove the screws in cross pattern and remove the plate and springs
feel the basket and fingers to make sure they are smooth
Keep track of the order they come out and then add the new plates and the replace everthing that I took apart and torque it to specs

Did I miss something? Is there a locking washer that I need to make flat to get the nut off?

I just do not want to go to my Kawasaki place - they will tell me I need a whole new basket etc..
Thanks for your help
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

You should be able to do what you want to but the clutch holder probably won't work out for you. Do you have, or have access to an impact gun? They work great for taking the nut off.
patricksutton

Re: 02 KDX200 replacing clutch plates first time need your h

Post by patricksutton »

Harbor Freight has an electric one for $40. Should I get that do you think? Do you think the nut will just be too tight? I think some people put a pipe or screw driver through the rear sprocket. There is a seperate gasket just for the clutch cover correct?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Yes there is a gasket for just the clutch cover. You might even get lucky and not tear it taking the cover off then be able to reuse it if you feel like being cheap. :wink:

A $40 electric impact gun might turn out to be a one time use tool. Just seems a little too cheap to last long.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I've used an cheap impact wrench and it works great.
I've also used the prybar extension method success too. just be sure to protect your swingarm and use a long extension on your wrench, very easy.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: 02 KDX200 replacing clutch plates first time need your h

Post by Dekon »

I have a HF electric impact gun and it was a life saver on my rebuild. It will pop the clutch nut right off. Also worked great on getting the forks apart to replace the seals.