proper break in

Got questions? We got answers....
jsavik

proper break in

Post by jsavik »

Finally put a wiseco in the 97 220. My cyclepedia manual, as great as it is, does not cover proper break in for a new top end. Its been 20 years since my last one so my memory is a bit foggy.

What is the proper break in procedure for these? Thanks.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: proper break in

Post by bufftester »

From the KDX220 Users Manual, pg 16.
Break-In
To obtain the proper operating clearance in the engine and transmission that are necessary for smooth engine performance and reliability, a brief break-in procedure must be carried out. For the first hour or 20 km (12 mi) of operation, run the engine at low and moderate r/min (rpm).

NOTE
The slow riding necessary during the break-in period may cause carbon to build up on the spark plug and foul it. If inspection of the spark plug shows this to be the case, replace the standard NGK BR8ES with an NGK BR7ES for the duration of the break-in period.

Break-in according to the following steps.
1. Start the engine and let it run at idle until the engine is thoroughly warmed up.
2. Stop and let the engine cool completely.
3. Start the engine and ride for 10 minutes at moderate speed - NEVER HARD ACCELERATION.
4. Stop and let the engine cool completely. Be sure to check and adjust chain slack and spoke tightness and make a general inspection.
5. Start the engine and ride for 20 minutes at moderate speed - NEVER HARD ACCELERATION.
6. Stop and let the engine cool completely. Check and adjust as step 4. The drain the coolant, remove the cylinder head, cylinder and piston, and inspect these parts.

Piston: A piston scored at the piston skirt could lower engine performance or damage the cylinder wall. Such scores, if any, must be smoothed with #400 to #600 emery cloth.
Cylinder: Decarbon the exhaust ports and the upper part of the cylinder, taking care not to damage the cylinder wall. Scores on the cylinder wall should be smoothed with #400 to #600 emery cloth.
Cylinder Head: Remove the carbon inside the combustion chamber.

7. Install the parts removed.
8. Fill the radiator up to the radiator filler neck and fill the reserve tank up to the FULL level line with coolant. Before putting the motorcycle into operation, bleed the air from the coolant system.
9. Start the engine and ride for 30 minutes at moderate speed - NEVER HARD ACCELERATION.
10. Stop and let the engine cool completely. Check and adjust as in Step 4.
11. After the break-in procedure has been properly carried out, the motorcycle is ready for regular operation. However, since recklessly high r/min (rpm) will lead to engine trouble, take care to use the necessary skill and technique in operating the motorcycle.

NOTE
After break-in, install a new NGK BR8ES spark plug, and change the transmission oil.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Or the abridged version I grew up with, ride slow to medium, always varying the throttle (don't run a constant rpm for a long time) for the first few rides (10, 20 and 30 mins each) with a couple hours between each to let the engine cool, Change the oil and plug, and then go break step 11! :boogie:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

proper break in

Post by SS109 »

We have discussed this before, haven't we? :wink:

Me and many others disagree with the "baby it" way of break in. Read more at the links below.

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... ak#p115762
http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... ak#p123941
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yep, there's at least 3 answers to every question thats ever been or will be asked! :lol:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

proper break in

Post by scheckaet »

to each their own, as for me: ride it like I stole it!
warm up bike well 5-10 min idle, ride easy (put around for a few min to loosen up my body) for 5-10 min then ride as hard as I can.
Done that the past 3 rebuild, didn't have any issue.
jsavik

proper break in

Post by jsavik »

Thanks everyone!

Just waiting on the rear shock to arrive and off I go!
brandonvick83

Post by brandonvick83 »

ok so regardless if you break it in like you stole it or you baby it what about step 6? do you really need to pull the top end apart again?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

brandonvick83 wrote:do you really need to pull the top end apart again?
No, you don't.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

No you don't have to do any of those steps, but the question posed in the OP was for the proper break in, which I interpret to be what is the Factory recommended way. I don't do it that way, likely very few do, but it's right from the owners manual.