Fork seals on H series

Got questions? We got answers....
TheJackRabbit
Supporting Member

Fork seals on H series

Post by TheJackRabbit »

Hello, recently one of my fork seals went in the left side and is getting all over the caliper, i could send the forks to a shop for service which would probably be the better choice, but I am going to attempt them myself.

I was wanting to know

what is the best aftermarket for seals to use? or OEM?
what is the best fork oil brand?
what fork oil weight is recommended at what level? rider weight is 200 lbs.

are there any tricks on doing fork seals?

your knowledge is greatly appreciated, thanks
http://www.youtube.com/allthatstuff35 <--- some KDX videos here
I'm smarter than I act
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Fork seals on H series

Post by KDXGarage »

I prefer OEM seals.

I prefer the oil recommended in the manual, KYB oil (the people who made the forks):

Five weight on the oil.

If you are using the stock springs, then I would suggest you run the oil toward the higher side of what is recommended in the service manual. You did buy yourself a service manual, right?

As far as tricks, placing a plastic bag or seal bullet over the fork end will help to keep the seals from getting knicked by the tube end.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Fork seals on H series

Post by bufftester »

I have used OEM and aftermarket seals, and really haven't noticed much difference (other than OEM being more expensive). Since you really should be replacing them every riding season a fork seal driver and bullet are handy tool additions (I am an admitted tool junkie though).
On my 220, and my hybrid with KX250 USDs I use BelRay 7wt (just personal preference, like the damping better with the heavier oil). Fork oil height/preload is one of those things you have to play with to find what works best for you. And as mentioned, the most helpful piece of equipment is a manual.
Seals are easy to replace, and while you have them apart take a look at the bushings as well.