passenger footrests

Got questions? We got answers....
kwakers

passenger footrests

Post by kwakers »

anyone ever put a set of rear fold up pegs on their bike to take a passenger, are there such add ons that wont rip your calf when on the trails alone? just wondering as id like to take my kid for a cruise down the trails one day

cheers

Ian
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Re: passenger footrests

Post by ICRage42 »

footpegs are your shin knee area plop em in front of ya with their hands clasped to middle bar and take it slow open field and let em get a first person view.....also it will give them a sense of control of handlebars. Worked years for me with street bikes. I dont think you would want to transfer weight to the rear when your only applying more of your own weight to pivot point this way.

Not saying this is the only way but it has worked for me and others.....thoughts ?
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

My earliest memory of riding is sitting on the tank in front of my Dad on his old Suzuki TS185 (steel tank-ouch)lol) We had a little Honda QA50 that my brother and I would take turns riding on, and the other would ride with dad. Best in front IMO cuz the kids can see where they are going, they have a sense of control as IC said, and you dont have to worry about dropping one off the back :lol:

That being said the old Suzuki had buddy pegs, we just preferred being in front where we could see

Of course my kids were spoiled, they got bikes right away (mostly because I remembered having to share with my brother...and he ALWAYS got to ride more than me! :mad:
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

i remember my boys first ride on my bike
he sat in front of me on the tank like the others had mentioned and got to hang on to the handle bars

for safety reasons i also ran a strap several times around the both of us so i KNEW he woudlnt fall of...cant really trust a 2 year old to hang on for dear life ;)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I ride my son in front of me, but have often desired passenger pegs (removable) for when we have family camping trips and I can talk the wifey into hopping on the back.
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

thanks guys,, i have a couple kids just hitting the teens so sitting up front wont work too well,,, im just concerned since i saw a buddy when we were kids lock up a back wheel with his Achilles in the spokes of the rear wheel riding the back, would be nice to have some re moveable pegs for these odd occasions,,,,mmmmm maybe fabrication time :)

cheers

ian
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I made a set once. They clamped to the bars that come up for the subframe, they did not fold up.

You could not leave them on because they would tear your leg up. They were also really too high, putting the passengers knees up around the drivers elbows.

They were O.K. for what they were.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The SR models that had passenger footpegs had little loops that extended from the subframe back and down, to get the rear pegs lower. That would be the model to copy if you really wanted to do it right.
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

thanks guys and Julien,, i looked at some pictures of SR`s seems there's two variations on rear pegs, one with a loop frame and another direct weld nut thru the frame, both fold out the way and parallel to the sub frame,, im going to look for some aftermarket clamp ons for $20 or so may be a quick and safe option
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The KLX250 had rear footpegs, frame nearly identical to a KDX (p/n 34028-1376 about $30 each ) They mounted through bosses in the rear subfarme. Would be fairly easy to weld a set of bosses to your subframe allowing them to fold up like the OEMs, or remove altogether when not needed. or you might find something like http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5300430 I think the only problem would be finding ones that clamp small enough on the subframe (it's not 1").
abryant

passenger footrests

Post by abryant »

Not sure if anyone has replied to this topic but I have a 1996 street legal KDX 200. I have 2 questions:

1) Is the sub frame strong enough to take a passenger?
2) Does anyone know of after market rear foot pegs (folding or otherwise) that would fit?

Thanks
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I've tried some clamp on ones. Nor really useful for anyone but a small child.