Headlight Assy to Number Plate only swap

Got questions? We got answers....
terrapinjam99
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by terrapinjam99 »

Hello, I am wanting to remove my 2002 KDX 200 headlight assy ( headlight and number plate combo ) and replace it with just a " number plate". Could you please give me some input and advise on this. I know that other bike's number plates wont mount up perfectly, and that I will need to do some modifications, but could you tell me what is the best to use for my 02' . Is it a specific year of KX number plate that is best to use. Or, maybe even one from another brand bike that fits on good. Is there an aftermarket available? I do not want to change my front fender, I would like to just keep the stock front fender on there. I have already removed my odometer assy years ago - so that is not an issue. I do not want to use one of those old , flat style, universals on there. I would like to make it look good - something that appears to belong on there.
Thank you , in advance , for any and all input.
2002 KDX200, FMF Gnarly Woods Pipe, FMF Power Core II Silencer, Moose bark busters, 3/4" bar riser, odometer removed, IMS Super Stock pegs.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Headlight Assy to Number Plate only swap

Post by Julien D »

Pretty much anything you like can be made to work. Since you are going for looks, pick something you like the design off, and order it up. Worst case you have to fab a couple little mounting brackets.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

wanna sell your headlight? I have a number plate gonna paint black just wanted a light too. I miss night riding!
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
terrapinjam99
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by terrapinjam99 »

ICRage42,
No, I plan to keep the Headlight assy to put back on for night riding, when that comes up. Thanks
2002 KDX200, FMF Gnarly Woods Pipe, FMF Power Core II Silencer, Moose bark busters, 3/4" bar riser, odometer removed, IMS Super Stock pegs.
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

I put the new style fender and number plate off a 05 kx 125 on the wifes 05. It has the inverted conversion, but should be rather easy on the conventional also
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It sounds like you are wanting minimum fuss. That means late 1980's style, which you don't want, so get ready to do some work to get the new(er) style plate to mount up ti your late 1980's style forks. :grin:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Thrahl

Post by Thrahl »

On my '89 200 I installed a 2001 KX 125/250 front number plate and it bolted up almost as if it were stock. The top bolt hole lined up perfectly and the small tab on the bottom inside just got zip tied to the lower triple. No cutting or drilling. Your 2002 might be different though idk. Here's a pic.
terrapinjam99
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by terrapinjam99 »

Thrahl,

Thanks so much for the input. Yeah , that looks cool . Think I will try to get on of those 2001 KX plates . Looks like you have the "pillow top " grips ...... i just bought some of those , but have not put them on yet. How do you like your?
Thrahl

Post by Thrahl »

terrapinjam99 wrote:Thrahl,

Thanks so much for the input. Yeah , that looks cool . Think I will try to get on of those 2001 KX plates . Looks like you have the "pillow top " grips ...... i just bought some of those , but have not put them on yet. How do you like your?
They look cool and match the bike, that is why I bought them lol. I also like that I can lean the bike up on stuff and the ends don't get torn up.
I haven't had any problems with them but I plan on installing handgaurds soon and I going to have to cut up the end cap anyways so next time I'm just going to get the regular cheapo ones.