Idling & Riding / Choking

Got questions? We got answers....
exilestudios

Idling & Riding / Choking

Post by exilestudios »

rbates9 wrote:I am going to say that the ebay carb kit would be a waste of money. They talk about putting in larger jets and the KDX comes too rich to start with. I can't speak for everyone but I would guess that about 90% or more of the people on here are using smaller then stock jetting. So the kit would be heading in the wrong direction. And anyone that gives jetting advise from a distance should be taken as advise and nothing more. You could do the same things to two of the same bikes and they would both be a little different.

Jets tend to run between $3-$5 so the $50 that you will spend on the kit could go toward a lot of jets.

See what you have in the carb now and post it up. We may be able to give you a nudge in the right direction but only you can find out what your bike needs where you ride.
I finally got around to pulling the carb off and taking a look at what jets are in it. The pilot jet is a 45 and the main jet is a 158. It was said to have new boyesen reeds put in it recently before I bought it and the FMF exhaust & fatty pipe were new. Based on what I've read around here it seems the jets are a bit on the large side, so I doubt I need to go up in size. However, today I was feeling curious and decided to pull off the left side KIPS cover. What I found was a nasty mess of black gunk. After cleaning all of this out, I put the new gasket on it and closed it back up. I wasn't sure what that gasket was for when I got the top end gasket kit a while back, but today I finally put it to use. :P

What originally led me to doing all of this today was that on my ride home yesterday the bike started to sputter. The first thing I could think of was that I fouled out my plug. I've been running it with the air screw a bit too far in, but didn't want to address the issue until I had to. After swapping out plugs, cleaning out that KIPS cover and such, cleaning out my carb again, and readjusting the air screw out to 1 1/2 rather than half a turn it seems to be running much better. I don't have the issue of it bogging down in low RPM's like I did before and I was sort of enlightened that it wasn't my carb jets being too small causing it to bog like that. However, now I have the question of should I go down in jet size or will it be fine as it is?

On another note, my KDX still never fails to impress me with the amount of power it has and how well it runs even under bad conditions. I can never get enough of riding it. :supz: