1989 kdx 200 kickstarter wont move

Got questions? We got answers....
ryan sanborn

1989 kdx 200 kickstarter wont move

Post by ryan sanborn »

First off awesome forum ,,OK I got a 89 kdx 200 off a friend he got a newer bike ,anyways picked up the bike brought it home and tried starting it the kick starter was moving free but the bike wouldn't fire ,so I started looking around well I drained the case oil and noticed it was milky (coolant) ,so I changed the oil and tried to kick over the bike and now the kick starter won't move at all ?this bike sat outside uncovered for a couple years here in new england ,,,,do you think the water pump seal went ? after I noticed the kick starter was locked I poured a bottle of marvel mystery oil in the jug and the case just so nothing would rust over winter ,,any tips ,help would be appreciated ,I'm planning on ripping the motor out and rebuilding the piston and rings ,bearings etc.I have never done this before ,I've only done basic bike stuff ,,,,where should I start the case or top end ?
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 1989 kdx 200 kickstarter wont move

Post by dfeckel »

I think here's a really good chance the bottom end is locked up from water or mystery oil. Pull the spark plug and see if you can turn the motor over with the kicker. If you get a geyser of fluid shooting up, then that's probably the issue. Flip the bike upside down and cycle the kicker a few times to get all the junk out. Try to figure out what he fluid is--gas, oil or coolant--and that will point you in the right direction.

Gas--float valve
Oil--crank seals
Coolant--head gasket or crack in cylinder.
David Eckel
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Oh, and just sitting uncovered outside can lead to water in the bottom end. If water comes out all rusty, you are probably looking at new main bearings, possible big end rod bearing, too.

This is sounding a lot like my 1983 KDX 250!
David Eckel
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I concur with the above as a starting point. Welcome to the forum, glad you made it in!
ryan sanborn

Post by ryan sanborn »

Thank you ,one more thing the only reason I poured the mystery oil in the jug and case was just to stop it from rusting ,the kick starter was free when it had the milky oil in the case and when I changed it with case oil the kick starter locked up ,so either way I'm gonna rip it apart ,i don't know really what to look for ,but I'm getting the repair Manuel ,and I will take a bunch of pics and post them here ,so you guys can see if you notice anything that I miss (cause of lack of experience). Thank you I will keep you posted
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Oh, btw, the milky transmission oil is almost certainly a bad water pump seal. Very cheap and easy to change.
ryan sanborn

Post by ryan sanborn »

Yeah that was probably what started all this that water pump seal but now I think there's more too it ,I'll post pics of the bike and the tear down so you can see what it looks like in the case after sitting for 3 years in new england uncovered ,hope its all good inside
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

dfeckel wrote:I think here's a really good chance the bottom end is locked up from water or mystery oil. Pull the spark plug and see if you can turn the motor over with the kicker. If you get a geyser of fluid shooting up, then that's probably the issue. Flip the bike upside down and cycle the kicker a few times to get all the junk out. Try to figure out what he fluid is--gas, oil or coolant--and that will point you in the right direction.

Gas--float valve
Oil--crank seals
Coolant--head gasket or crack in cylinder.
+1, just draining the transmission will not drain anything out of the cylinder.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yes, if you really did pull the spark plug out, fill it with oil, and put the plug back in you effectively seized your motor since liquid won't compress like air. Doesn't take much oil up top to help preserve, just a squirt or two of oil would be plenty, especially since the cylinder is plated and not prone to corrode. Bigger issue will be the lower end and corrosion on the crank, end bearings, and transmission parts. Follow dfeckel's advise and drain everything out of the motor before you do anything else.
ryan sanborn

Post by ryan sanborn »

Just to clarify I put the oil in after it was locked not before
ryan sanborn

Post by ryan sanborn »

OK I will drain all fluids from motor and tear into it thank you all I'll keep you posted