Removal of seized spokes

Got questions? We got answers....
GKBO
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Removal of seized spokes

Post by GKBO »

The front spokes of my 86 200 project bike are well and truly seized(in the right side of the pics).Multiple applications of penetrating oil and time have done nothing to stop them tuning when I try to loosen them.Tried clamping a vice grip to the spokes to,just spins in that to.The right wheel is off a 86 KX125,looks to be the same hub but it has completely different axle and bearing set up.It does share the same spokes and wheel so the I've already taken the spokes and rim off the KX hub.My question is how would you get the spokes and rim off the KDX hub?
My thought was get a hold of a bolt cutter and just pop them off that way.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Removal of seized spokes

Post by rbates9 »

If your not worried about saving the spokes then just cut them by what ever means you have. I have used a small, about 4", pipe wrench with success to hold the spoke but by the time you are done then the spoke has gouges in it that will make them weaker so you may as well just cut them.
GKBO
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Removal of seized spokes

Post by GKBO »

I'd love to save the spokes but they have resisted all attempts to remove them.Sat in penetrating oil for 2 week.Hit them with a heat gun and propane torch.The still just go ting,ting,ting when I turn the spoke nipples.Clamped a vice grip on the spokes,they just turn in the jaws.Haven't bothered trying Rbates idea because from his statement it would wreck them anyway.Already striped out one nipple trying to get it off,did manage to save 1 out of 36 spokes :shock:
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Removal of seized spokes

Post by bufftester »

Had the same problem a few years ago, figured if they were that badly rusted together they probably needed to be replaced anyway so I jut took the bolt cutter to them, split in half and pull them.
GKBO
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Removal of seized spokes

Post by GKBO »

Bolt cutters where the way to do this,done in 5 minutes.Got myself a set,the wife likes me to buy tools.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

For next time...

Use anti-seize and SEAL the rim on the inside. Not a perfect solution, but I've been able to adjust my spokes for several years after replacement doing it that way. I put duct tape under the band.

As far as the removal part, I use a pneumatic cut-off. I've spent enough time TRYing to get seized spoke/nips apart and not got it done that I don't mess with 'em for more than a few minutes before I just cut 'em out.

I never remember which it is, but there is ONE of the pair you canNOT put in with the other of the pair still in. Like: You can replace an outside spoke by itself, but you canNOT replace an inside spoke with the OUTside spoke already in position.

...or the other way 'round. :naughty:

Something to keep in mind if the plan is to replace just ONE damaged spoke.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
GKBO
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Removal of seized spokes

Post by GKBO »

Thanks for the reminder on the anti seize CC.Probably wouldn't have thought to do the spokes,duct taping over the middle of the rim is a great idea to.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You can replace an outside spoke by itself, but you canNOT replace an inside spoke with the OUTside spoke already in position.
That DOES seem backwards reading it again. If you happen to be cutting out a bunch of 'em, it would be good to determine which way it is (and remember it). Then, when you get the one goobered spoke that needs fixin' you will know what needs be done.

Seems you might have more 'room to move' replacing a single INside spoke.

I'm picking a nit of it 'cuz I don't want anyone taking my word for which way it is only to find out it's wrong..they're riding in two hours...and they have one spare spoke. :rolleyes:

no habla 'd informacion 'el correcto

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!