12 tooth spocket

Got questions? We got answers....
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

12 tooth spocket

Post by dave04kdx »

Have any of you guys replaced the stock 13 tooth front sprocket with a 12 tooth? My brother and I went riding Friday. We did a rocky, tight nasty (but fun as hell) 33 mile 1st and 2nd gear ride that took us 5 hours. Lower gearing would have been a definite plus. Will the 12 tooth gear make my chain rub excessively on the front of the swingarm? Doesn't look like there is a whole lot of extra room up there.
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

are you running 13/47 now? i have ran 12/47 with no problems but i prefer 13/50. i have tried 12/50 also and didnt like it. too low.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'm running 12 tooth front and stock rear. It works great! A larger rear sproket and you will need a different chain guide, I think.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

How much topend loss do you feel? I'm torn doing this because I love the rush of the top end. But to be practical... I need the low end... :cry:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

YOu might loose about 10mph off the top. My guess only as I too wimpy to try and see just how fast I can really go. With the 12 tooth, I've gone over 60 mph.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I've done 60+ in the desert with 12/47 gearing. You don't really loose anything off top, it just gets shorter and pulls the gear ratio's closer together. Most of the time you get the advantage of being able to pull a gear higher in the tranny as well.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Here we go with the 'How fast can you go?' stuff?

I've run a 12T for years. Yeah..I've replaced the slipper once...but probably would have anyway.

Of course it wears faster than a 13T will. Take care of your chain and you'll be fine.

How much speed do I lose? I can still run well over 70mph (sez the GPS). That's fast enough for me.

Oh...I run a 47T rear. I put my 13T back on from time to time, but for the woods where I am most of the time the 12T is the ticket....imo and all that.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

i would like to ride somewhere that i could get into sixth gear. it is a six speed isn't it? i know i have 5.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

canyncarvr wrote:Here we go with the 'How fast can you go?' stuff?
I don't think that's what I asked... I asked how does it feel. I know better than to ask a question like that. :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

But Ski's buddy J-burd says you will roon yer chain runnin' a 12 toof sproket

Bunch a LOOSERS! (running around untying things!)
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

LOL!
Running around untying things! Those imps!
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Don't take it personally!

No, you didn't ask..but if some gump says, 'I can go over 70! with a 12T CSS!', some bubba will say, 'Your speedometer needs to be calibrated, cuz I can't go THAT fast with a 13T CSS.'

etc. etc.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Bet he could if he had dem cute pink Barbie grafics! :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
cicone

Post by cicone »

Mr. Wibbens wrote:Bet he could if he had dem cute pink Barbie grafics! :wink:
WEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!and via a little known codicil in the Faber College Constitution, I am placing you on double secret probation! Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son. Now, let's go have a beer(or ten). :partyman: Seriously though, where can I get those Barbie BNG's.
In resonse to the question---a lot of people in the woods around here have 12 teeth. Not sure what it feels like---never got too close to 'em.