New Clutch Perch Problems

Got questions? We got answers....
sterlin44

Post by sterlin44 »

I broke my clutch perch and bought a new one to put on. Problem is there is not enough adjustment to have it go on! Even with it adjusted all the way out on the bottom and top it still will not even hook onto the lever. I know this has to be something simple I am just overlooking. Help??
Clutch perches side by side -
Showing how there isn't enough slack in the cable -
Bottom Adjuster -
Angle of arm when clutch starts disengaging -
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

The picture of the cable on the transmission end shows that the two nuts are on the same side of the mount. They should be one on either side of the mount. Try that. Also the area that the adjustment screw is in is deeper on the new perch then the old one. You may have to remove some if you can.
sterlin44

Post by sterlin44 »

Yeah I noticed that about the bottom adjuster, but just left it like that for now so I could easily adjust it while fitting the lever. Does it not seem odd that even with the stock perch the adjuster has to be almost all the way out? I thought about taking material off the new perch but it just doesn't seem like I should have to.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Try moving one of the nuts to the other side and see how much that gives you. With the thicker part on the perch you are starting out loosing some adjustment. Are you sure you have the correct cable? That might be an issue too.
sterlin44

Post by sterlin44 »

I think it's the stock one but there is always a possibility that it isn't. Is there any way I can check? I guess I could try taking some material off the perch but I really want to do this correctly. Because, with the bottom adjuster moved all the way out I don't think there is enough cable down bottom for the clutch arm to go through its full movement.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Did you move the nut to the other side at the bottom?
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: New Clutch Perch Problems

Post by royadams »

I don't know about the 200/220 but my kdx 250 has a adjuster half way down the cable to make it easy to put on and have adjustment
sterlin44

Post by sterlin44 »

I checked the oem parts diagram and it shows an adjuster on the cable. But there is no adjuster on my cable oddly. So maybe it's a non oem cable? It's says made in Japan on it though.