92 KDX 250 F Questions

Got questions? We got answers....
AlaskaKawiGuy

92 KDX 250 F Questions

Post by AlaskaKawiGuy »

I recently purchaseda 92 KDX 250 F. This is the street legal version that was made for the Japanese market. I wasn't able to get a title with the bike and am not sure how to go about getting one legal (tags,ins.,ect.) This bike doesn't have the normal vin the U.S. version has and no vin = no title. I live in Alaska in case that helps.

Question two:
I have been reading on here that the replacement piston kits from wiseco and others won't work because the hole in the wrist pin is different. I can't find one specific to this bike, anyone with an idea or know where to get a kit for thit bike?

Question three:
Been looking to replace the expansion chamber and silencer. The exhaust seems to bolt up different than the u.s. kdx 250. Anyone have a link to stuff that will work. Im very mechanically inclined just lost for where to get this stuff from.

Thanks all and glad to be on here finally.
:boogie:
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

92 KDX 250 F Questions

Post by pumpguy »

Illinois has a provision for titling a "specially constructed motorcycle" which I assume is for the chopper guys. Just take it to the proper authority for inspection. Maybe Alaska has something similar?

For parts, try Race Replica Motorcycles in Australia. They list parts for KDXs sold in other parts of the world.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

92 KDX 250 F Questions

Post by SS109 »

Sorry, I don't know anything about the Japanese market bikes. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along and be able to help. If the frame is the same, or at least very similar, I have a titled US spec KDX250 frame I can part with for a reasonable price.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
AlaskaKawiGuy

92 KDX 250 F Questions

Post by AlaskaKawiGuy »

Thx. I'll check out the option of "specially constructed" Never thought about going that way. Thx pumpguy.
If I can't go that way i might be interested in the frame ss109. This is to be continued.

Thx all
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

92 KDX 250 F Questions

Post by canamfan »

Here is an e-mail a guy on a suzuki site sent out explaining about getting a title thru the state of vermont, I haven't tried it myself but have a couple of bikes I'd like to try it on. Many vintage bikes no longer have a title. Some may have been designated off road only and never had a title. Many others had their titles lost over the years. If you have a street legal bike, the value to you and potential buyers is greater with a title. What do you do if you own a streetable bike with no title? You have several choices: --------- Leave it untitled,(and you can not legally ride on the street)------------ follow your state's rules regarding obtaining a title --------hire a title service company (they usually charge well in excess of $100)----------- or use something like Vermont. The question is cost. It was possible in Colorado to use the statutory method, but it was much more expensive. The Vermont method was faster and cheaper.

Vermont allows you to register a bike with only a law enforcement VIN check and their usual sales tax and road fees. Residence is not required---- they don't care. You don't need a bill of sale, heck as far as they are concerned it is already your bike, you just want to register it in Vermont. You will want to call them to determine the book value of the bike as their sales tax collection will be based entirely on that book value. They are happy to take your money. Transferring Vermont's registration to your own state is no different than buying a bike with an out of state title. Take the Vermont registration to your DMV and they will be happy to change it to your state (and charge you). Many people bring in vehicles from out of state, it is not unusual.

Here's what I don't understand-------------.
In Colorado, off road only bikes often have no title (it's not required) The same applies to thousands of 4 wheelers and snowmobiles so prevalent in this area. To qualify for a title, your bike needs to be street legal. 4 wheelers and snowmobiles can not qualify for a title. The title is a legal document that verifies the vehicle is streetable, and subject to all the rules and laws of the road. If it is not streetable, you don't qualify for a title.
Insurance wise, all of them, whether titled street bikes, or non titled dirt bikes, 4 wheelers and snowmobiles are insurable, I guess you would need to consult your insurance agent to find your local rules. The insurance rates will probably go higher if you title a previously non titled bike as street legal vehicles have the legal exposure implied with driving on public roadways.
I know that members of the my other Yahoo group have used this method in Lousianna, Arizona, California and many other states. I have not heard of anyone hitting a dead end. If you own an untitled bike, and wish to get it titled, this method will work to get a Vermont registration. Your state may require a road worthiness inspection, but your state is required to accept any other state's legal registration
argclh6670
Supporting Member

92 KDX 250 F Questions

Post by argclh6670 »

I have a 92 also, its the D series thou.
here is a link to a thread on the kdx 250. not sure how much is related to your specific model.

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=13319
AlaskaKawiGuy

Fork Seals for KDX 250 SR

Post by AlaskaKawiGuy »

I am bought a 92 KDX250 SR. Im doing the front fork seals and fluid and was curious if anyone had the specs on oil volume or if it is measured from the top of the tube. Any info helps, thx KDX lovers!