what boots/gear bag to buy ?

Got questions? We got answers....
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

what boots/gear bag to buy ?

Post by diymirage »

hey guys

we did well on our tax returns and of there is some money left after she gets her new flooring and new kitchen i should be able to buy me a set of MX boots
this will be the first time ill be buying actual MX boots and other then my size i have no idea what to look for so what are you guy's suggestion?

any brands to look for or stay away from?

(keep in mind that i will hardly ever wear these...maybe a few hours at a time once a month...in the summer so they dont need to cost a fortune)

EDIT:
after breaking my ankle while wearing my comp 5 boots im thinking of selling them and upgrading, so what boot gives the better protection and lets just leave money out of the equation
Last edited by diymirage on 09:56 am Dec 24 2013, edited 2 times in total.
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

what boots to buy ?

Post by scheckaet »

my .02
get boots that fits you well and you are comfortable in.
Usually, the brand name feel better and are more durable than the cheapo, they offer more protection too IMHO.
I have been using alpinestar and am very happy with them.(garene is also a very good one)
Usually all expensive one are quite worth it in the end, but you don't have to spend a fortune on them, 150-200 you can get some good ones. I'd stay away from sub $150 off brand, don't fit too well and don't last.
My 1st pair were tech 8 (the one with the booty insole) USED for 100 bux, the sole where you are on the footpeg was quite worn out, but I wear them 2 years. I ended up selling them on craigslist for 40 bux and the sole was almost worn thru (the guy didn't care)
If I could find someone to re-sole them I'd have kept them but could not find anyone close that would do it for a decent price.
I then got a pair of tech 6 (no booty) and I like them a lot, they pop up all the time on cycle gear for a very affordable price (<200 bux? I can't recall). Like them so much that I have a brand new pair waiting in the box in the garage when my current one are kaput. :supz:

Another advice: go to the store and try different pairs, see what size and brand fits well and wear a pair of heavy socks (the thick wool winter kind) it provides padding and I never had blisters that way.
walk around the store and feel where you may have a hot spot, don't be afraid to squat too (no comment on that please... :roll: ) to feel those spots and how bad they are.
hope this helps
wilf
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

what boots to buy ?

Post by SS109 »

I'm a person who believes in doing a lot of research on what's available, trying as many on as possible, and going from there. I don't always believe you get what you pay for and that some cheaper (cost not quality) gear works very well.

Since I couldn't afford to spend a lot, and I don't want to wear anyone's used footwear, I looked at new sub-$200 boots. After reading all the reviews on the various forums and such I ended up buying a pair of AXO Boxer Series Enduro boots for $110. They have kept me safe for 3 years now and still are doing their job. Soles are still good and all buckles have held up great. The only part wearing out is the velcro closures at the top. Otherwise, I would say they would probably be good for at least another year or two. Sadly, AXO discontinued this series of boot recently and you can't find them unless you wear a kids size or 13+! Since the Boxers have done very well for me I plan on giving the boot they replaced it with, the Drone series, a shot and see how they do.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: what boots to buy ?

Post by bufftester »

I have a pair of Gaerne SG-1s that are about 10 years old and still going strong. Resoled them with a vibram lug sole once the smooth MX one wore through. Dry them after riding and liberal use of saddle soap and they still look great. My dad is still wearing a 40 year old pair of Full Bore (now known as Sidi) that he refuses to give up. Find what is comfortable and don't worry too much about brand, most all are so close fit is the only worry.
jeeptech1

what boots to buy ?

Post by jeeptech1 »

I have a cheap set of msr boots that have held up well over the last couple of years. Think they were 100 bucks. Took a while to break in and broke a couple buckles when I had a run in with a tree. If I had $ I'd buy some gaerne sg-10 boots. My AA rider buddy switched to these after wearing tech 10s and loves em. He wore them for the 6 days in Germany. Said they didn't even need to be broken in!
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

what boots to buy ?

Post by diymirage »

thanks for all the replies guys

my local dirtbike shop is rather small (though they do a lot of online buisness) so the chances of them having several different size 13 boots i could try on and walk around the store with are small

cragwl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cragwl »

I have a pair of msr's that were on close out from an on-line store. Can't remember which store. The main feature I need being in the Pac NW is a good inner gator to keep the water out. My son has a pair of Shift Combats. He really likes them. His feet stay dry.
In dog beers, I've only had one.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Been using fox comp 5's for a few years. Comfy and affordable.
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I have alpinestars tech 10's, amazing boots. lightweight, comfortable, and a little flexible, all while providing the best of protection. They are super expensive brand new, but I got mine used from a guy who wore them twice or 3 times for $175 :mrgreen: gotta love craigslist
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I found my buddy a pair of Tech 7's, those are also great boots, but also a bit pricey brand new
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

On the more budget oriented angle, I just bought a pair of Answer Podiums. Build and comfort is better than some of the more expensive boots I've owned.

We'll see how they hold up.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

what boots to buy ?

Post by rbates9 »

I have a pair of these http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/45/ ... Boots-2011 But if I were to buy them again I would go with these http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/45/ ... 3-AT-Boots . They are less expensive then others but as with everything you get what you pay for. The biggest problem I have with them is the buckles can be tough to get un done when you take them off but they are comfortable to wear all day. As with any riding gear you don't want to get the cheapest thing you can find or you will pay for it down the road.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

what boots to buy ?

Post by SS109 »

rbates9 wrote:but as with everything you get what you pay for.
I strongly disagree with that statement as it is not true. If you had said "generally speaking" then I could agree with that. Anyways, you can find lots of quality gear and parts for a reasonable price if you do your research. I have not been unhappy with a single one of my budget buys.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

Anyways, you can find lots of quality gear and parts for a reasonable price if you do your research. I have not been unhappy with a single one of my budget buys.
And there's been some pretty bad premium gear. On the boot front, as an example, Beriks have been goddawful really expensive boots. Just junk.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

i wonder if i could get the good people at riders discount to let me try on a few boots?
they have a depot just a few miles up the road from me

shoes is one of those things i just hate buying without trying them on first, let alone a several hundred dollar pair of boots

diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

been doing some browsing and after looking up every boot mentioned on here i think i have settled on the fox comp 5 off road boot

i still want to try one on before i buy them but at least im getting a clear picture now :)

thanks again

K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by K50X200 »

After having just purchased my first set of boots after getting back into motorcycling after being away for 22+ years, and having ridden in only work boots before, my one recomendation would be to make sure you try them on.
I was looking at used boots on ebay, but happened to find a pair locally on Craigslist - a pair of Fox boots in my size - I tried them on - unbelievably small. Long story short I ended up buying a pair a full size larger than I usually wear. If you're looking for new revzilla.com has a no charge return policy - for as many times as it takes to get it right ( i believe).
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, Keihn 35 ASQV, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gnarly Woods Pipe
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

funny story about trying on boots...
i was looking for some new hunting/winter boots the other day
now, my left foot is bigger then my right one so when i try on shoes i always and only try on the left one because i know if the left one fits the right one will aswell
well, i found a pair at my local meijer store and it actually fit very nicely, on top of that, they were on sale.
needless to say, i was tickled
so i stuck the box under my arm and proceeded to the check out
the girl was kind enough to check the content of the box only to find it had two left boots in there
and they didnt even match

i went back to find the missing right boot but it was gone and i was left with my old boots :wah:

ICRage42
Supporting Member

what boots to buy ?

Post by ICRage42 »

That site actually is pretty good from what I just seen. Checked it out and will prolly go there for when I get some gear. Anymore I like a site that has reviews of the products as well. Really helps when deciding.

A pair of boots I was gonna pick up on ebay was on there but with reviews. Good thing I didnt get them alot complained they werent comfortable. Saved some cash just by going to the site.

Thanks for suggestion.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
tirebiter

what boots to buy ?

Post by tirebiter »

Over the years (And many sprained ankles, broken toes, foot cramps & little toes feeling on fire from tightness) I've come to the conclusion that boots are one piece of gear you shouldn't skimp on.
A good boot will offer better protection and last a long time.
Cheap boots usually start falling apart after a year or so and offer less protection.
So the question is do you buy cheap boots now, only to replace them later with good boots, or get good ones from the start? Your choice.
I wear 13 EEE and my left foot is larger, it's hard to find a comfortable boot in that size.
I've owned AXO, Alpinstars, SIDI crossfires, etc, and they all were too tight.
About a year ago I bought a pair of Gaerne SG10's- Finally a pair of reasonably priced quality boots that fit!
So, if you can spare an extra C note, check out the SG10's.

Read the reviews..
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/45/ ... G-10-Boots

Rant over...
If I can't do it, I'm sure someone else can!