85 watt stators on ebay

Got questions? We got answers....
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

85 watt stators on ebay

Post by K50X200 »

Well I took my bike in for inspection today - got the call I was hoping I wouldn't get - "Hey I can't get the headlight & turn signals to work at the same time"...
I guess I was hoping for an understanding of (the limitations of!) the Baja Designs kit, understanding why the PO didn't feel the need to rewind the stator :blink: , a stroke of luck, or devine intervention :please: - I don't know!

So I guess I'll be re-winding the stator sometime in the next 10 days, which is the amount of time I have to get it stickered w/o paying again (I was planning to do it anyway & actually received the magnet wire in the mail today and am waiting for the flywhell puller).
I need to thank anyone on here who has written posts on this ( I think Slick_Nick especially). - I wouldn't have had the guts and/or knowledge to do it on my own!

In doing my daily trudge thru all things KDX related on ebay, I see somebody is selling 85 watt stators on there - He'll either rewind yours ($50) or sell you a rewound unit of his own ($100) - although I have to say the job doesn't appear to be as neat as Slick_Nick's!
I just joined the forum so this may not be news to some - but I haven't seen the ad on there until today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KDX-200-HIGH-OU ... 42&vxp=mtr
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, Keihn 35 ASQV, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gnarly Woods Pipe
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 85 watt stators on ebay

Post by bufftester »

You can do it so much cheaper, I was surprised how easy it was to do, and have already been tagged by my dad and another riding buddy of his to rewire theirs. Plus there's just something about DIY that adds to the appeal of your bike.
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by K50X200 »

I look forward to doing it myself... Just as soon as that flywheel puller gets here.
Just got off the phone w/ tech support at Baja Designs - Seems that if you leave the dual sport kit battery for longer than 6 months w/o charging with a .5 amp battery tender (or regular riding) they go bad (which is just about the opposite of what the installation manual claims), which explains the headlight/turn signal thing - so I'm going to see if I can rebuild the battery pack as well!
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, Keihn 35 ASQV, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gnarly Woods Pipe
Spartan'11

Post by Spartan'11 »

I all also ran into this issue on my KDX 200 where the PO installed the baja kit without a rewound stator, except where I live it passed inspection anyway. Personally I didn't care for the idea though so even after it passed inspection I order LED bulbs for the blinkers and tail/brake light. The LED bulbs use so little power even after dark with my high beam on I can use a blinker or brake light with next to no headlight dimming. This is with the stock stator. Also I have been through two baja battery's since I've owned the bike and this third one is now shot to, guess that's what I get for forgetting to pull the battery for winter.. Ill probably rebuild this one though myself.
'01 kdx 200 Street Legal
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by K50X200 »

Spartan,
What bulbs did you order for the turn signals? The engraving on mine are unreadable.
I have actually been thinking about putting an 1157 socket in my stock tailight (with led bulb) and wiring that up to work along with the baja kit led tailight for more noticeability on the road.
Although the tech support guy @ Baja Design said the led's wouldn't be that much different then a regular bulb - although he did try to sell me the led turn signal stalks that B/D sells...Hmmm
I'm going to pull my battery & see what amp/hr they are to match them or maybe improve them.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The tech support guy was talking out his butt...plain old 1157 bulb will use about 5-7W, you could have all 4 led turn signals on, plus an led brake and tail light for nearly the same. Even the high ouput LEDs outperform the incandescent bulbs. Rewound stator you could even eun a halogen or HID kit!
Spartan'11

85 watt stators on ebay

Post by Spartan'11 »

I forgot to mention that's exactly what I did with my taillight, just installed an 1157 socket and used the wiring for the aftermarket fixture. I actually did this because I was riding in cold weather, skipped over a log and when I landed it jarred the rear end pretty good breaking the plastic lens of the baja kit. I've been using an LED 1157 bulb ever since. As far as the blinkers go ill have to get back to you, can't remember off the top of my head. I know what you mean with tech support though, "LED bulbs won't do anything for you BUT if you would like we have some over priced LED blinker fixtures we could sell you which might help your situation.." Look those LED fixtures up on ebay, they're like 8 bucks. If you don't have any experience with LED bulbs, make sure you get the bulbs with the SMD chips in them, NOT the ones with a bunch of individual plastic bulb type LED's. The SMD's are way brighter and don't use any extra power.
'01 kdx 200 Street Legal
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

85 watt stators on ebay

Post by K50X200 »

Spartan'11 wrote:I forgot to mention that's exactly what I did with my taillight, just installed an 1157 socket and used the wiring for the aftermarket fixture. I actually did this because I was riding in cold weather, skipped over a log and when I landed it jarred the rear end pretty good breaking the plastic lens of the baja kit. I've been using an LED 1157 bulb ever since. As far as the blinkers go ill have to get back to you, can't remember off the top of my head. I know what you mean with tech support though, "LED bulbs won't do anything for you BUT if you would like we have some over priced LED blinker fixtures we could sell you which might help your situation.." Look those LED fixtures up on ebay, they're like 8 bucks. If you don't have any experience with LED bulbs, make sure you get the bulbs with the SMD chips in them, NOT the ones with a bunch of individual plastic bulb type LED's. The SMD's are way brighter and don't use any extra power.
It looks like a pretty easy swap, being that the old socket is just held in there with a strap!
Spartan'11

85 watt stators on ebay

Post by Spartan'11 »

Yeah it is. I believe the blinkers are 1156's but my bike is an hour away from me right now as its tucked away in my parents garage for the winter. Still a little more than a month before the sled gets tucked away and I dig the bike out!
'01 kdx 200 Street Legal
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

Cool let us know how the rewound coil does. I was planning on getting my 88 tagged for the street but I think I found something that would be a little more fun for that (still 2 stroke though :lol: ). So I may just keep the kdx for what it does best, I'm still doing head lights though maybe HIDs if my output is enough...
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
cragwl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cragwl »

I converted all my bulbs to led in my Baja lights. (Except headlight) Easy as pie, just remember, the turn signals will need correct polarity to flash. Seemed to make a big difference in my battery time. I might go with an Steahly lighting coil having unsuccessfully rewound my stock coil. Not sure why it didn't work?

I installed a wall charger plug to charge the battery. I used an old RC charger and some adapters from Radio Shack. Works great.
In dog beers, I've only had one.
Spartan'11

85 watt stators on ebay

Post by Spartan'11 »

Good call about the polarity. Test them before you buckle everything back up or else you've got to haul it apart and swap the leads. I found my blinker fixtures to be quite leaky so I used silicon to seal it all up when I put it back together as I tend to ride some fairly deep water/mud in the spring. The first time I opened up my rear blinkers they were full of mud/dirt so the couple times since then I've used silicone to seal it back up.
'01 kdx 200 Street Legal
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

85 watt stators on ebay

Post by K50X200 »

I rewound the stator today...
Probably a couple hours total - it would go faster the next time! :grin:

Found this to work pretty well to hold the spool as I unwound the wire from it to the stator - the end of the wire from inside the coil provided just the right amount of tension.
18 mm 1/2 drive socket...
Tested it afterwards - Headlight, turn signal & brake light at idle w/ no problem! :lol:
Next is to make a new battery pack - Can you believe Baja Designs only uses 700 Mah batteries?
I'm going to order 3000 Mah - I'm asssuming I'll get better life out of them. :hmm:
Oh FYI - Wire supplier - http://www.techfixx.com/index.html