trouble removing front axle

Got questions? We got answers....
ukkdx200

Post by ukkdx200 »

hi all! I have a 98kdx 200 with fork conversion which was done when I bought it
see here: http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 104&t=9129

I need a new tyre on but I cant for the life of me undo the axle which as you can see from the above thread should just be a case of undoing the spindle on the non brake side. its also stainless steel so shouldnt rust and theres none visable where it meets the top hat.
ive currently got the bike on its side and keep spraying penetrating fluid on it hopeing that gravity should help with it on its side but so far its still stuck solid. ive tried tighening as well as loosening
Ive also tried tapping it but again no luck, the next thing would appear to be heat but access is so limited to the area Im not sure how good this would be especially being so close to brake lines, tyres etc

Ive kept the 4pinch bolts tightened which I think is the right thing to do? (one of them is rounded off as well so thats another problem to look forward to!)

any ideas??????????????????????????
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

ukkdx200 wrote:hi all! I have a 98kdx 200 with fork conversion which was done when I bought it
see here: http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 104&t=9129

I need a new tyre on but I cant for the life of me undo the axle which as you can see from the above thread should just be a case of undoing the spindle on the non brake side. its also stainless steel so shouldnt rust and theres none visable where it meets the top hat.
ive currently got the bike on its side and keep spraying penetrating fluid on it hopeing that gravity should help with it on its side but so far its still stuck solid. ive tried tighening as well as loosening
Ive also tried tapping it but again no luck, the next thing would appear to be heat but access is so limited to the area Im not sure how good this would be especially being so close to brake lines, tyres etc

Ive kept the 4pinch bolts tightened which I think is the right thing to do? (one of them is rounded off as well so thats another problem to look forward to!)

any ideas??????????????????????????
you need to undo the 2 pinch bolts on that side,then it should undo,but leave the brake side pinch bolts tight.
best regards
john
ukkdx200

Post by ukkdx200 »

dude541 wrote:
you need to undo the 2 pinch bolts on that side,then it should undo,but leave the brake side pinch bolts tight.
best regards
john
excellet that would make sense! of course the one that is rounded off is on that side so I can only undo one of the two pinch bolts that I need to so I guess now the number one job is to sort that.
any ideas on getting a rounded bolt off??????
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

ukkdx200 wrote:
dude541 wrote:
best regards
john
excellet that would make sense! of course the one that is rounded off is on that side so I can only undo one of the two pinch bolts that I need to so I guess now the number one job is to sort that.
any ideas on getting a rounded bolt off??????
I would use the next size socket down,and hammer it onto the head of the bolt,that should fetch it off,then just replace it.
best regards
john
ukkdx200

Post by ukkdx200 »

ahh ok thanks for that! I wish I had read that before I just bought some twisted sockets from ebay! still there probably worth having for future
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: trouble removing front axle

Post by bufftester »

Pair of vice grips would probably work too. Worst case take the dremel and cut two flats and remove with a crescent wrench
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I have a simular set up on my bike and I have found that if you don't loosen the pinch bolts on the brake side then the top hat will act as a lock nut making it harder to remove the axle. But I see that yours is round so it will be difficult to hold onto once the pinch bolts are loosened up but if it still won't turn with just the non brake side loose then you may have to back off the brake side some.
ukkdx200

Post by ukkdx200 »

thanks guys, plenty of things for me to try there!! i really appreciate the help
ive ordered some twisted sockets to help remove the rounded bolt head which should arrive thursday and then time to crack on with the axle!

watch this space!
ukkdx200

Post by ukkdx200 »

hurray at last!

took me about 45mins to get the rounded bolt out! the main tool was searing and shouting which eventually worked! in fact I ended up hammering a small screwdriver at the bottom of the bolt. when I finally got it out it turns out its bent which cant of helped! anyway with that out and the other one on that side the axle was easy and not stuck in the slightest! tyres now changed with a new tube as well, ran out of time to put it all back together but the main work is done, now just need to put new brake pads in and shes just about good to go!

thanks again for all your help! Id of still been stuck without it!
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

glad you got it sorted :grin:

do us a favour........post up some pics of your rear fender,especially from underneath etc,want to see how well it fitted,as its of a kxf.
best regards
john
ukkdx200

Post by ukkdx200 »

Im currently on a work computer which doesnt show pictures but I think there might be a picture of it here
http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=11957

i'll get another one sorted although at the moment it doesnt look that great as I snapped it and its now held together with cable ties so is a bit bent!!

its not a perfect fit if im honest and it wouldnt like right if the fender bag wasnt there