Rages 95 KDX rebuild with pics!

Got questions? We got answers....
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Ok a little on the history on the bike first. From what I can tell Im the 3rd owner. First being a younger kid, then his neighbor. But the neighbors wife said Nuh uh to the idea of her boy riding it .....and so within 10 mins of him posting on craigslist I was at his house in 25 mins hehehehe.

I seen the picture of the bike and was like oh man looks good. You should see some of the bikes around here highly neglected and abused or pirated. Highly priced too. I dont think the guy knew what all the kid had into it and all he wanted was his wife to shut up and get his money back so he could leave her presence and go drink and gamble .......as he put it.

So i finally got one and if you recognize the bike or rider let me know some info please.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ok so you can see some of the aftermarket parts on it. Radiator gaurds , expansion pipe , silencer etc. Now my first thoughts it was raced but when researched the pipe I found out it was more likely for track motorcross. No spark arrestor either. Another thing I have to replace or buy for woods travel.

This was after the wreck. The front speedo hub and caliper and wheel sleeve were the culprit. Was just gonna take it down the road to warm it up to change oil and work on it and front wheel speedo just dug into the hub. The sleeve was rusted solid onto shaft and wheel locked up with me going about 15 mph with no rear brake and only front . Needless to say even going over everything visually to see if safe for ride. Did not let me see whats going on underneath. Bike furiously put me onto road. Fractured my jaw it two places and 14 stitches in chin and badly banged knee. Good morphine tho.

So lets catch up to date

started with some basic needs parts. New handlebars other ones were bent obviously lol. :roll: Replacing the plastics as I go along and just mocking everything up and functioning as it should. My plan is to tear it all down again to powder coat the frame. Oh I also picked up a rear calliper on ebay and fixed the rear brakes and installed new pads and bled it out.

Also picked up a set of 00 forks for it. They werent leaking and were 400% in better shape then the others. So I figured Ill keep the old and use them to learn on rebuilding them. Also picked up a used in very good shape rim, axle bolt spacer and sleeve for it

I was not kidding about having a mouse nest for a air cleaner. This bike was a maze of mismatched bolts and when I went to look at it I only grabbed metric so I couldnt pull seat to look. The neighbor said he went over everything and the bike ran like a top too. A good thing is tho. The aircleaner had a huge hole where the filter was just gone. The mouse nest actually was packed well and Im hoping stopped anything from damaging we shall see. Im not running it till I tear apart the engine.

So Im just getting it cleaned out for now I have a new air filter for it. Getting the frame back in order with plastics. Im doing it this way so everything will look nice after the powder coat. There was some small damage to where the side covers bolted or slid into the flange holder. And as with this bike I bought a 250 piece bolt kit and I think i have two bolts new left hahahaha. My left eye twitches with anger everytime I grab for a metric wrench and walk back to bike only to discover someone put an standard bolt in place. :rolleyes:

did some more cleaning and put the side covers on. I have to do some more tweaking but they are aligning alot better then before. The previous owner looked like he laid it down pretty hard on side shown.

this was before I got the rim in the mail. Put the seat on and have everything looking pretty decent for now. Gonna pop off the front again next and check the steering stem bearing. I know its a little backwards but its more of a what i get in the mail put on so Im not tripping over boxes stage. Also if the steering stem bearings need changed then I will do that after the powder coat and just clean and grease for right now.

as she sits today. With a cool effect from phone :supz: Couple parts or things to do and Ill have the front done and will move to the another spot on the bike. I have new bearings for wheel and have ordered new tire and rim lock , tube. Been waiting to snug everything up. Checked my click torque wrenches and man are they way off. Good brands just old and I dont like beam ones or ones from harbor freight lol so I found a new digital one and waiting on that to arrive to torque everthing to specs.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

just wanted to note found a guy right down the road that does powder coating. He was really cool here he has a restoration shop and only does imports and a great collection too. He was pretty cool with me doing all the prep work and if I pick up some green powder coat hell paint and cure frame and whatever else I want to throw in for 75-100 bucks basically sharing the oven cost when he goes to bake his parts. Checked out some of his work and I really lucked out with finding him. :grin:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Rages 95 KDX rebuild with pics!

Post by Julien D »

Looking good! Nice score on the powder coat as well. We have a guy like that up here. He did my buddies YZ250 frame for about $100 after we blasted it. Wish I'd had mine done at the same time, instead of paint....
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Sounds like you found out why you should ALWAYS wear your helmet. :naughty:

But the bike looks like it's coming along well. What pipe is on the bike. The bend that comes around the left side looks big.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

rbates9 wrote:Sounds like you found out why you should ALWAYS wear your helmet. :naughty:

But the bike looks like it's coming along well. What pipe is on the bike. The bend that comes around the left side looks big.
Long story there rbates but I agree ......it came with helmet however truck ride home part of the liner blew away wouldnt of done me anygood really. God works in mysterious ways my friend. Wondering on some things asked God for some answers ......trip to the hospital since I havent been there since 90 they got my new number and I got called first about a loved one there going through some rough times. Ask and ye shall recieve ........just not the way or when you want it I suppose.

Thanks! I was kinda hoping you guys could help me on the pipe. Says Power port on the pipe and fmf 304 stainless for muffler. I would really be surprised if anything is stock .......this bike has alot of balls. But looking at fmf site it appears that this is I guess an ultimate track setup? but a bit older model? I dunno some small dents but if anyone would like to trade try something else out on your bike for a decent exhaust with spark arrestor Im interested. Would like to hit some trails and thats required. I dont think I would be into track. Never done that so really dont know if keep onto it or whatnot. Right now theres little restriction and you can feel it.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Rages 95 KDX rebuild with pics!

Post by B737driver »

That's actually a Pro Circuit, not FMF silencer. Factory stainless 304 I beleive. I'm lost on the pipe though. Looks like something off of a 500.
Last edited by B737driver on 11:04 pm Feb 03 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Lookin' good! :supz:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Thanks SS

Spot on driver! To answer you rbates it seems its for 89 ? I cant actually remember now Ill edit later with link but 500........good eye man. Well appearing what was shown it was the only pipe that looked the same with that large bend on the left like you said.

Interesting.......it had the airbox lid removed already too. Wonder what other modifications might of been done. :hmm:

It looks like this bike was really taken care of by original owner and neighbor put every deck bolt he could find on it.

Moving on with the rebuild ........really super cold out here now for me. I live close to Lake Erie. So Im stuck in a snowbelt. Gonna do some work on it tommorrow will post pics as I go along.

Thanks for the help!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

:hmm: KX 500 you say? I wonder what they were trying to gain with that pipe? Supper rev pipe?
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Power port it says dent where rest is lol :doh: scuffed by me in wreck but yea sounds really good. One of the reasons I bought it. As far as performance couldnt tell you, no leaks. Has a different sound.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Ok so it was killing me and I finally got a couple of days to work on bike.

The pipe was super dirty and I tried finding it by looks and no luck. So started striping down bike and tore it off with silencer. Brushed em up. Here it does have a small patch ....nothing major but it is a Dynoport Racing pipe and correct pro circuit 304 silencer. Still cant find pics but I have seen others that have it on. Their website doesnt show pics for current but prices are relatively same for fmf etc. The one from the 500 like you said matches it best tho.

So I ask is anyone else running a dynoport pipe? It states on website that its supposed to be for better mid power range. Geez is it heavy too. ALot more than what I thought. Alot of carbon buildup too. Anyone know of a good way to clean that up?

Anyways heres some pics

Anyways like I said front was ready to come back off to do the steering stem bearings. Bearings werent bad but like everything else neglected. So I popped the clamps off and will clean and grease them for now.

Not siezed or loose so just gonna clean and grease like I said but have added new bearings and seals on list.

this is where I got the exhaust off and starting some wd40 magic. The patch was from another pipe small but the logo :yawinkle: left eye twitchin lol.

Took the gas tank off airbox and filter and subframe.

So tommorrow looks decent I might actually have a chance to wash it so I can tear off the top end and see what I got. Too dirty to work on so been trying to get time off on a decent day to spray her down. Ill plug and cover what needs be and drain flush radiators. It was a good day in the garage got alot done gonna throw a post up in the wanted section for some parts if anyone has them.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

To clean the pipe you can flush with solvent and then make a long flexible wire brush out of a piece of cable that has been unwound on one end, feed through the pipe and put in a drill to spin it. After the solvent flush it wouldn't hurt to burn the solvent / goo out before the wire brushing a few times.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Have you heard of the ...........put it in the fire pit trick?

Basically from what Ive read never heard of it myself but when researching I guess alot of people just hang it over fire on a rod with wire with o ring removed and whatever else cook the pipe to burn the carbon out and then cool brush and wd40 and reinstall.

Right now Im at the point of getting a new pipe/silencer and just keeping these to goof around with. The expansion pipe is super heavy, I mean probably 3 times the weight of new fmf woods pipe. It feels like one big boat anchor pulling the front end down.

Basically reached my spending limit for now. Would like to even see if someone wants to throw a stock pipe and silencer my way and have that installed for a bit. Till I replenish some funds.

Currently have her teared down and greased the steering stem. Cleaned the airbox all out. Just working on bearing replacements and swingarm is next along with shock Removed alot of the frame and swingarm stickers. They looked horrible and tore up.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

So I cleaned up the airbox ......well the best I could for now. Soaked it for three days with changing water and using electronic cleaner (only thing that cut the grime and safe for plastic) Installed new air toil pre oiled filter on it. Got it somewhat decent. The dirt and grime on this bike is like petrified dino poo.

Took the radiators off and covered plugged etc what need be and took it to carwash with just rear wheel. 7 car wash cycles and STILL with trying to brush etc soap from home you name it nothing was cleaning it up. It was like almost 15% better after all them times. At this point until I can do some pressure washing at home. I opted to see if I should do a rebuild at this time by opening up the exhaust port removing reeds and plug carefully cleaning those area around them. Carb cleaner and airhose worked pretty good. Plug that was in it was a B8es and I put the B9es in. They are identical and cross reference but calls for the B9es.

everything up to and including reeds were very clean and with plug out the piston looks dam new and top looks carbon but not pitted and exhaust side looks great too. Reeds were just a bit worn. Put exhaust and plug in and installed new boysen power reeds. Hope I did them right. Followed the instructions but first Ive ever done and was a bit dumb founded. Didnt have blue loctite left over and used a small amount of red......prolly screwed myself there. I look at it as Ill just have to get a better setup if so. I just didnt want the screws flying in.

So put everything together and put new front wheel on. But alas pinched the new tube around the valve somehow. Im not that experienced at tire changing but I ordered a new one and will put it on more carefully. I didnt have the nut down and thought I pushed the valve back to help not pinching but still wound up doing so.

Believe it or not after all that cleaning and cleaning mostly by hand this is where Im at. Im ordering a new swingarm bearing and lower shock kit. New rear tire and bearings and tube/rimlock. 13/50 chain sprocket d.i.d. combo.

I was going to go with a sedona tire for now.......are they any good ....experiences?

Anyways Ive pretty much gone over entire bike but I have atleast 2-3 months before I can get the powder coating done . Shop owner doesnt have anything till then otherwise Im paying about 350 to 400 bucks compared to a 100 lol. At that time Ill do a rebuild and clean it up good while on the bench. I also cleaned the carb it was also really clean and so I didnt have a problem with it running and opted at this time not to clean everything.

So now I know what I need parts wise and will post in the wanted section if someone has something here itll help.

Thanks again ....Rage