Engine started while low on oil... damaged?

Got questions? We got answers....
simpson943

Post by simpson943 »

Hi guys, my n00b is showing a bunch today. So I got a new to me 01 kdx 200 last weekend. It's been forever since I've had a dirtbike. Long story short, I read the beginners guide posted on this forum, and following the good advice, changed the oil today. However... I think I royally screwed up. I initially filled it with .7 liters like the manual suggests, but when I check the sightglass (without running the bike), it was overfilled... so... I drained it, and filled it again, while watching the sightglass. It took about .3, maybe .4 liters. I started the bike, and let it run for 2-3 minutes, and revved it a few times (cause it sounds so cool - lol), but then when I checked the sightglass, the oil was not registering. So, I added some more, let it get within range on the sightglass, and started it again (no revving this time). I checked again, and again the oil didn't register on the glass. So I added some more, and now it does show after starting it a 3rd time, but just barely.

At this point I'm really nervous that I screwed something up. Can anyone confirm/deny that I should be worried?? Tomorrow, should I just drain it again, and fill to .7, then start it and check? I'm really hoping I didn't hose the bottom end, cause my wife will be less than pleased (she's already borderline with me getting the bike in the first place)... and because I obviously don't have the skillset to take on a project like that.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I've been scouring the net, and this forum but couldn't quite find other stories quite so n00bish. :oops:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I wouldn't worry to much about it. Just make sure it's full and ride it. Keep an ear open to see if anything sounds funny but I bet you will be fine.
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

No problem.
The bottom end is lubricated by the oil in the premix. The oil in the transmission is for that and the clutch. The two are not related.
You're good.
Ontario, Canada
simpson943

Post by simpson943 »

Awesome, I'll sleep ok tonight then, thanks for the quick replies!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

zomby woof wrote:No problem.
The bottom end is lubricated by the oil in the premix. The oil in the transmission is for that and the clutch. The two are not related.
You're good.
Yep. Plus, these bikes are pretty tough and can handle quite a bit of abuse and not miss a beat.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
MotocrossMatt

Post by MotocrossMatt »

Also not holding the bike completly upright can make a big difference on the oil level at the window. Simple but easy to make a mistake.
Go buy a 2stroke!
Spartan'11

Re: Engine started while low on oil... damaged?

Post by Spartan'11 »

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it at all. Changed mine one spring in a hurry because it was the first time out but everyone was waiting for me to leave. Filled it up a bit above the sight glass ran it for a minute, filled it again and called it good. Put about 50 miles on it when I started hearing a hell of a squelling noise from the primary sprocket bearing. Oil was not visible in the sight glass with someone holding it up straight, added some more and the sound went away instantly. This was over 2 years ago, bike still runs like a champ. Also it's an 01 and the engine has never been opened for anything, changed reeds and that's about it. Those bikes are tanks!
'01 kdx 200 Street Legal