DIY Auto Clutch

Got questions? We got answers....
kashola
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

DIY Auto Clutch

Post by kashola »

Thought that'd get your attention. :grin:

Seriously...I'm not an engineer, but I am a tightwad. Unfortunately, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Have been giving this a lot of thought (at least what constitutes a lot of thought on my part). What are the possibilities of building a Dynaring/EXP 2.0 type auto clutch. If you made it a steel plate, you wouldn't have to worry about trying to bond friction material to it (plus may work as a flywheel weight, depending). Use XR frictions to help compensate for lost surface area. The majority of the rest of the internals are available separately from Rekluse. Yes, it would be a lot of work. Yes if it didn't work, you'd be out some cash. Yes if it grenaded, you'd be in a world of hurt. But if it did work...BAZINGA! If you have engineering experience, please chime in. If you don't, chime in, too. That way I'm not the only jackwagon in this post...and go!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: DIY Auto Clutch

Post by bufftester »

The engineering isn't that tough, it's the manufacturing part that is beyond most of us. You'd need a decent CNC machine at a minimum just to fabricate the ring halves, and source the special 1/4turn fasteners and springs. The other problem is patent rights, which is what drove revloc out of the business to begin with from what I understand. Guessing by the time you made one, you'd have been able to buy a couple.
kashola
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

DIY Auto Clutch

Post by kashola »

Don't see patents being an issue since it's not intended for mass production. Do agree with you on the CNC, though.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

bufftester wrote:The engineering isn't that tough, it's the manufacturing part that is beyond most of us. You'd need a decent CNC machine at a minimum just to fabricate the ring halves, and source the special 1/4turn fasteners and springs. The other problem is patent rights, which is what drove revloc out of the business to begin with from what I understand. Guessing by the time you made one, you'd have been able to buy a couple.
Just an FYI, Rekluse was they on being sued as they were the ones infringing on Revloc's patents. Revloc decided to sell out to Rekluse to settle the case.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

DIY Auto Clutch

Post by ecojbr »

Bringing an old post to life again. I emailed Revloc aus and received a reply from..........................check this out...........................Ryan Rekluse?????????????????????/ whats up with that? Got some valuable info from him, just sounds REALLY weird
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
kashola
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by kashola »

Do tell.
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

Well...
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

I was told the Barnett would have replacement clutch plates and could re surface my dyna ring !!!!!! Funny thing is the man I spoke to at Barnett doesn't know if they made the plates or not?????
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200