KX forks on my KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
jbg_3d
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

KX forks on my KDX

Post by jbg_3d »

So I'm either going to build a 99 or 02 KDX frame with all our parts sitting around. Going to be a 200, with RB carb, new piston, pipe, etc... I'm still debating dropping some coin on a set of KX forks... What do I go with? I'm a 220# rider looking for a good "woods"/single-track fork.

Suggestions?
RailwayRog
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

KX forks on my KDX

Post by RailwayRog »

Don't do what i did.
i bought a kx250 front end off a guy on another forum, he told me it was a 2002 so I bought the fork rebuild kit only to discover it's not a 2002 but an earlier model. The reason I know this is 2002 and up are 48mm where as 2001 and below are 46mm. So if you need a 48mm fork rebuild kit i have one for sale. Also I was told it was mounted on a kx 500, great it should bolt right up, no stem swap or knurling. Problem is my stem is loose in the lower clamp so I'll try to fix the problem, probably look at knurling or buying another lower clamp. Bunch of extra money spent for nothing, my fault, i should have know better. Then again it's used crap.
So learn as much as you can and inspect the the front end closely, other wise you'll be dealing with a bunch of problems you weren't expecting.
Good luck,
Roger
avgKDXjoe

Re: KX forks on my KDX

Post by avgKDXjoe »

What's an easy-to-swap front end to look for? Are there certain year kx's that are better for swapping?
'04 KDX 200
'01 KDX 200 (current project)
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

avgKDXjoe wrote:What's an easy-to-swap front end to look for? Are there certain year kx's that are better for swapping?

if im not mistaken the 500 should be a direct swap
everything else needs the have the stem swapped out of your KDX tripple in order to fit in the frame

even after you get the forks in there is still a very good chance that they will need to be resprung/revalved to fit your weight and style
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KX forks on my KDX

Post by rbates9 »

If you start with 250 forks the springs will be heavier then 125 springs so you might get lucky and not need new springs. And if you go with 99-01 you can have RB modify your axle to use your KDX front wheel with your KX forks and not need the KX wheel.

Generally newer is better but also more $$$ so you need to find out how much you want to spend on forks and start shopping. It might be worth looking for a "parts" bike on craigslist that has good forks and then sell off the rest.
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

I recall reading some later KLX forks are a direct swap too. Do a search and you will find it. I know my KX conversion ended up costing quite a few $$ even though I got a good deal on a pretty complete KX front end.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
avgKDXjoe

Post by avgKDXjoe »

Thanks for the info. A buddy of mine has some '05 KX250 forks he is trying to sell me for the swap but I think I'm just going to keep it stock this first race season and get a baseline feeling for the bike.
The forks will be there if I want them so no rush but It's defiantly something I want to do.
'04 KDX 200
'01 KDX 200 (current project)
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

KLX300 forks are a direct replacement (http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... &start=140 page 8) that has been done by a few folks. Some would argue they aren't as good as KX units, but properly sprung and valved/setup I would doubt most could tell the difference...and still a HUGE improvement over stock...plus you can often find them cheaper.
GCHOG

KX forks on my KDX

Post by GCHOG »

hey guys , Garry here. I just finished putting a 2001 KX 125 front end on my 2004 KDX. Bought a complete KX front end off ebay, got a fair deal. Sent the triple clamps to RB Designs for stem swap and KDX axle for his conversion. Ron did an excellent job, I am very satisfied. I sent the forks to Wlorks Enduro Riders in NJ, had them rebuild the forks, again good work from those guys. I haven't had a chance to ride the bike yet, weather here in NJ hasn't been real good, but hope too this weekend. I have both front wheels ready to swap in depending on whether I want to ride a hare scrambles with the 125 front wheel with no odometer, or trail ride with the KDX front wheel with the odo. Anyway , I am pleased with the way the bike turned out, I just hope the KX forks are better than the stockers. Ride safe all !
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

KX forks on my KDX

Post by Fatherof2 »

GCHOG wrote:hey guys , Garry here. I just finished putting a 2001 KX 125 front end on my 2004 KDX. Bought a complete KX front end off ebay, got a fair deal. Sent the triple clamps to RB Designs for stem swap and KDX axle for his conversion. Ron did an excellent job, I am very satisfied. I sent the forks to Wlorks Enduro Riders in NJ, had them rebuild the forks, again good work from those guys. I haven't had a chance to ride the bike yet, weather here in NJ hasn't been real good, but hope too this weekend. I have both front wheels ready to swap in depending on whether I want to ride a hare scrambles with the 125 front wheel with no odometer, or trail ride with the KDX front wheel with the odo. Anyway , I am pleased with the way the bike turned out, I just hope the KX forks are better than the stockers. Ride safe all !
Looking forward to a detailed review!
For God and Country......Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!!