new to me 1995 200 KIPS question

Got questions? We got answers....
metalmilitia

Post by metalmilitia »

recently bought a well used 1995 200 that isnt running right in the upper rpm range. decided to pull the jug to check the KIPS operation & timing. got the head pulled and removed the actuator arm cover to disconnect the the gear so I could pull the jug but before I loosened the nut I decided to try to turn the gear. surprisingly it turned pretty easily and seems to operate the valves through their full range. it just stays wherever you leave it and doesnt spring back to closed or anything. is this normal or is something broken down closer to the primary gear?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

It sounds like you may want to take a look at the pin for the governor.
jeeptech1

Post by jeeptech1 »

I'm with rbates. This is the pin. Sits between shaft and governor assembly.
metalmilitia

Post by metalmilitia »

thanks for the replies and especially that pic. after removing the little claw gear it feels like the pin isnt broken off but maybe bent & out of the groove. the actuator rod will turn about 3/4 of a turn either direction freely before it stops. how difficult is it to replace this thing...what all has to be removed to get to it? this is driving me nuts, after pulling the cylinder & confirming everything in the top end is properly assembled & functioning perfectly it seems that literally a $5 part and a little know how is all thats keeping me from the woods...and it was 60 degrees here today!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

All you have to do is remove the side cover and then the pin will be held on the shaft with two screws. Put the new parts in and a new gasket on the side cover and reassemble. You don't even have to drain the oil if you just lay the bike down on the left side. Remember to make sure to support the shaft while tightening the left hand nut. :wink:
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: new to me 1995 200 KIPS question

Post by bufftester »

It's not too hard to replace, but involves taking off the clutch cover (the whole thing, not just the cover directly over the clutch) The advancer just sits in a race. The pin is attached to the shaft with 2 screws that have to be removed, then the shaft comes right out. I imagine it should be fairly obvoius what's the matter once you pull the cover.
metalmilitia

Post by metalmilitia »

thanks for all the help guys! the pin was bent pretty bad. the bracket that holds it to the actuator rod is cracked in 2 places and was just about to let go. everything else looks brand new. only problem is when the cover came off 2 washers fell out. I checked the fiche & found one went on the kickstarter shaft but the other, smaller one I cant seem to place...
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

If you can post a picture of the washer then it might help. Or at least give the dimensions.
metalmilitia

Post by metalmilitia »

sorry, tried to get a pic to post from my phone earlier to no avail so I had to go back & measure it. 13mm o.d., 8.4mm i.d. & 1mm thick. thats if my conversions are right anyway...it was.512, .332 & .037 inches respectively.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Sounds like it might be the clutch push rod washer? But they should be on the clutch side of the push rod and not something that should have fallen out when you pulled the cover off.
metalmilitia

Post by metalmilitia »

that one is still in place but youre right its almost identical. have to measure it to be sure but the push rod washer seemed to be a hair larger o.d.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

They do tend to come with two on there and you can remove one or two to get the actuator arm angle correct so maybe the PO put it on the outside for safe keeping?
metalmilitia

Post by metalmilitia »

does the engine side of the water pump drive gear shaft get one? fits it perfectly...
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Have you looked into getting a manual? :wink:

Take a look at the parts pictures like this one http://s16880.50belowcommerce.com/oempa ... C1629E1431 or this one http://s16880.50belowcommerce.com/oempa ... C1629E1350 or others if you can't find it in one of them.
metalmilitia

Post by metalmilitia »

rbates9 wrote:They do tend to come with two on there and you can remove one or two to get the actuator arm angle correct so maybe the PO put it on the outside for safe keeping?
thats possible I suppose. the clutch felt great so I definitely dont want to change anything there. it definitely only had one on the inner side of the push rod.

I just went & measured. the push rod washer is 14.5 od, 10.2 id & 1 thick so if the 2 are the same size this is something else.

I have ordered a manual but it isnt here yet. I have looked through every fiche page on Ron Ayers site and I cannot find a washer this size. closest thing I can find is on the engine cover fiche...part 92022. judging from how exact the others have measured as compared to the descriptions I'd say that isnt quite it either. I am at a loss...
metalmilitia

Post by metalmilitia »

ok after having a minute to look at it again after work today I have narrowed it down. the washer in question is a little too small to fit on either end of the clutch push rod so thats out. after going over that entire side of the motor gain there are only 2 locations it will even fit...the motor side of the water pump drive shaft next to the bearing or the outer end of the power valve governor. thats all it fits on. having said that from what I can tell neither of these locations have a washer so either it came from deeper in the motor(clutch assy maybe?) or the previous owner left a stray part in there. what would you do???
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

It would be nice to find out where it came from. If it even came from the bike. What about down around the shifter detent stuff? Everything look ok down there? I haven't had to remove the water pump yet but the KIPS governor doesn't have a washer on either end.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

There is only one Kawi P/N (92022-1028) on the 95 that matches those dimensions, but it's on the rear master cylinder. 92022-1488 is close (8.2X14X1) and is on the coolant drain plug. Could have been on the outer end of the governor, but find it odd if it was (though sometimes hard to know what POs have done and why). Nothing in the clutch is close other than the pushrod spacer. If it were me I'd put it back together per drawing, after a thorough look through.
metalmilitia

Post by metalmilitia »

Thanks for all the help guys. It was driving me nuts not knowing where that came from but after going over it several times and having multiple people concur that there just isnt a washer that size anywhere in there I am feeling pretty good about putting it back together without it. should have my parts in a few days & will report back on how it goes. all I can guess is the previous owner installed it trying to shim the power valve governor in an attempt to alter the power delivery. never heard of anyone doing that but its the only thing I can come up with. cross your fingers! :grin:
metalmilitia

Post by metalmilitia »

after parts delays and then being delayed by the flu I finally finished getting it all bolted back up. getting that cover back on while keeping everything in place was a little tricky.took me 5 tries before it was all correct. seems like every time either the pin would pop out of the governor or the kickstart spring would pop out of its hole. just gotta buy some more antifreeze & I should be able to test her out tomorrow, weather permitting.