stuff on magneto rotor '01 200

Got questions? We got answers....
fulltiltboogie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

stuff on magneto rotor '01 200

Post by fulltiltboogie »

Ok....so I take my ignition cover off so i can hold to install new auto clutch. I haven't had it off to inspect in quite some time. When I took cover off I found quite a bit of white powdery substance around rotor. I don't remember seeing this before. I'm not real concerned about it but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I have a Boyesen cover with white gasket that has some overhang. Maybe it came from this gasket. Any thoughts on what tis might be and have you seen this on your KDX?
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I have the same on mine and noticed it when I installed my flywheel. I believe it's from water getting in and drying off,leaving a residue. It also has to do with electolysis as well with the dissimular metals and the currnet flowing around in there. Use a little brake cleaner, not carb cleaner, and after it has dried, apply some RTV silicone sealant on the gasket nad wire boot. This will keep any water out. Removing the cover after washing,then blowing dry with an air hose will work too.

BTW, to hold the engine when installing or removing the clutch, I just put the bike in gear and run a metal rod into one of the holes in the rear sprocket. The bar will keep the sprocket from turning when it's levered against the swingarm, and the tranny will be held by being in gear and the chain installed to the rear sprocket. Makes sense? Give it a try. I've also just used a padlock and locked the chain to the rear sprocket through one of the spocket's holes, then put the bike in gear to lock up the clutch movement when installing or removing the clutch.

Is this your first auto clutch? Be sure to write up a report on how you like it!!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!